Author Topic: The Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show  (Read 1336 times)

JSDAFM

• Jr. Cacher
The Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show
« on: January 29, 2012, 19:17:45 »
The Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show is a new show coming to Ottawa March 17-18, 2012.

Any one hear anything about this show?  Maybe some of the local shops have some information.

I was wondering if the CCC wanted to maybe have a booth?

Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: The Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 21:49:03 »
Even assuming the space is free we do not have a booth, and we would have to get volunteers to staff the booth for the entire show.
What do we get in return? We have people joining us all the time without any effort on our part.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GPComd

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 13:35:59 »
We could get people interested in caching right that second, who could create a profile/user account through their phones, then stop in a kids park on the way home from the show and use their phone coords to hide that empty juice bottle they stuffed a scrap of paper into.   Then upload +/- 45m coords, and finally ignore all emails about the cache and never visit gc.com again.
If there's a downside here, I'm still looking for it.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 14:04:18 »
 :D  I see the issue of 'drive-by' cachers in a somewhat better light than GPComd has cast it in, but it's true that the majority of 'new' cachers don't last more than a year or two.

I too would argue that a higher bar for placing a cache may be required. Remember the caches in Riverside South by 007rty? http://coord.info/GC31CWM for example. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. While I'd like to encourage geocaching in general I'm not sure this is the best venue for us to use. Even if everything was dropped in our laps for free we'd still need people at that booth for the duration of the show. I've done my share of volunteering in the past and I can tell you that's not the easiest thing to manage.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça