Author Topic: Camouflage  (Read 2398 times)

lacwitt

Camouflage
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:10:15 »
I am working on a cache that requires the use of camouflage software but I can't get it to work on windows 7.  Any help is appreciated.

Chris

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Camouflage
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 13:55:07 »
Please define "camouflage software".  I, for one, don't know what you mean by that.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 14:08:33 »
http://camouflage.unfiction.com/

A weak stegangraphic encryption software. No longer supported.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 23:07:43 »
Has anyone been able to make it work on Windows 7? If not, is there any alternative that actually works on Windows 7?

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:56 »
If you want something simple (no encryption) this one claims to work with Win7: http://quickcrypto.com/free-steganography-software.html

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:38:23 »
Yes but there are a few older caches in the Ottawa area that were encrypted with 'Camouflage', and I'm not sure another stego app would do the job.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 14:23:34 »
It's a lot of effort but I've been pretty successful running older software on new versions of Windows in a virtual machine.  It involves getting the latest incarnation of VMWare Player (which lets you create new VMs and not just play them) as well as the installation disk for an older version of Windows that the software is known to be compatible with.

lacwitt

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 14:51:32 »
I used the easier method.  I phoned a friend and got a hint.   :).

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 23:43:14 »
I have great news for anybody trying to use the Camouflage software on Windows 7: it works very well right out of the box!!!
Instead of right-clicking on the Windows Explorer, open any "Save As" window, navigate to the folder where your picture is located and right-click on it from there. Et voila!

Yes I know that everybody is looking at GAG17 caches right now. Don't think that I am giving any hint there: I highly doubt that camouflage was used on any of the puzzle caches (was it?).
But yes, I discovered it by chance while I was attempting to solve a puzzle cache... which I haven't been able to solve yet [:(]