Author Topic: Cavecats finds Alien Head in the desert...oh...and 1204 caches in 7 days  (Read 4187 times)

cavecats

Day 1 - 16 caches (restrained myself, since I wanted to hit 5,000 at an event on Day 3
Day 2 - 1 cache (found a cache that I had DNF'd on 2 years ago) to fill calendar grid and bring total to 4999
Day 3 - 33 caches, including #5000 and a big smiley in the desert
Day 4 - 337 caches up to and including the start of the Extra Terrestrial Highway
Day 5 - 249 caches including the completion of the head alien above.  (3 trips into the desert - 5 1/2 hours total)
Day 6 - 534 caches including the oldest cache in Nevada
Day 7 - 34 caches found on voyage back to Las Vegas
Day 8 - Slept
Day 9 - 12 hours of logging  >:(

Left home with 4982 - Now at 6186  ;D

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Congrats!!  8)  Looks like you had a great time and grabbed some cool caches.  Very cool that you organized an event for your 5000 too. 

Interestingly, 1204 caches later, and yet somehow you're still #6 in the local standings.  WTF!?!  :o :o  Tough town we live in. 

scubadiver

Wow that is an awesome accomplishment and a very well deserved rest day. Congrats.

RDLtrekker

• Full Time Cacher
  • Just one more....!
congrats!  sounds like you were in caching heaven with those numbers... can't wait to hear all about it. ;D
Just one more... :) !

graciious

Congrats to you! quite the achievement.

3-Bearss

Outstanding caching ... gret to see you having fun in the sun! Congrats on the E.T. highway, look forward to hearing your tales  ;D Congrats on 5 8) 8) 8) & 6 ;D ;D ;D as well!

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Day 9 - 12 hours of logging 

Heheheheheh.....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

that's quite a feat! congratulations!  :o  :D

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
That's out of this world  ;D

WTG, look forward to hearing about it when you return.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

PhotoCrasher

Wow... that is awesome. Congrats.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
That's out of this world  ;D

I protest. I posted this exact same comment over an hour ago, yet it never showed up on the forum...

Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Starkiller

Congrats!!

How many batteries did you go through? Were you charging them by night?

cavecats

Congrats!!

How many batteries did you go through? Were you charging them by night?

Disposable batteries on the Oregon (2 fresh ones put in each day) and the 60cx was plugged into the car.  By day 2 on the E.T. highway and over 300 caches found, we weren't using the Oregon anymore.  When the car stopped at a cache location and the Garmin inidicated that we were between 8 - 20 metres to the cache, we were able to mechanically pace ourself straight to gz. Sometimes we were wrong, but the majority of caches (film canisters) were hidden in 1 of 5 different ways.   We switched driver / cacher positions every 100 finds which averaged every 2 hours.

We only traveled the highway during daylight but we did cache in the desert one evening during a full moon attempting to find the 51 caches making up the Head Alien.  After an hour and 10 caches completing the mouth and chin of the alien, the coyotes started howling and I decided to call it quits.  

The next morning we hiked another 2 and a bit hours and completed the rest of the head outline.  That evening, after dinner, but before dark we completed the eyes.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 15:14:43 by cavecats »

qtman

WOW that's awsome
That would be neat to do.
A big Congrats.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
heheheh... the coyotes yipping and howling can be disconcerting, I know...

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça