Author Topic: Laughed so hard I was crying - How to Place the World's Worst Cache.  (Read 3909 times)

TyggerBob

I'm sure this article is old news to most of you, but it was new to me and might be to some others.
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193637

My favourite was the section on Attributes.. "Recommended at night" LMAO..
Hope you enjoy..

Bob
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:23:30 by TyggerBob »

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
OH!  CacheViewer may have to steal that or post link in profile :)

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
A very funny bit of satire, except that every one of the 'tips' is something that I've encountered within the past year......*sigh*
And the sad thing is that the people who need to read that forum post the most won't, they don't even know about forums.....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

TyggerBob

Hehehe.. to be honest, you popped right into my head as I was reading it, after reading some of your expressions of sadness at the state of cache placement lately.. Almost could have been written by you, Blue :)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
heheheheh.... I'm not that clever or witty....

Blue-
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Laughed so hard I was crying - How to Place the World's Worst Cache.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:53:43 »
One part of me is thinking "Cool!!!!" the other part is "WTF are they thinking?".

Even putting something like that way out in the woods is just asking for trouble.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:53 »
A geocache that looks like a hand grenade, yes, what a great idea  ::)

I especially like the fact that he says it's easy to know it's not a real one... because it's much lighter.  So, he expects people to pick it up to check if it's a real one?  Exactly what you want to do when you see something you suspect might be a dangerous explosive, right  ???

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 21:21:25 »
I have no words.....

Blue-
- Sheila Mendonça

graciious

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:51:30 »
I wrote to the seller to express my distaste, and as expected did not receive a response.  I have not looked to see if they are still for sale, but I gave the whole thing some thought. If other cachers want to ruin the hobby that we all love so much, what can I really do to stop them.  I guess my warning here is that if you buy one or hide one like this... I will not think twice about taking it and disposing of it, just cause it makes me mad!

GreyingJay

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 13:45:41 »
I could see it working, but I agree that there's way too much potential for abuse. I mean, think about it, why would anyone create this kind of container in the first place? Obviously to try to fool people!

There are caches in Ottawa that are facsimilies of dangerous objects, but obviously fake, and made for laughs. "Going out with a bang" in Stony Swamp comes to mind. I've also seen caches that look like big bear traps or mouse traps.

The only way this type of cache would be "safe" is if it was hidden well away from the public eye (well off the trail) where it wouldn't likely be accidentally found, and if the cache name or description make it CLEAR that it was going to be something unconventional.

However, even if those particular conditions are met, it sets the stage for some noob cacher to say "Oh wow what a great idea I could hide one just like that too!" and boom (!) the damage is done.

graciious

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 22:00:50 »
The listing has been modifed, and although the seller continues to sell the containers (to recoup his investment) he did publish this on the advertising page.

" I listed this item not knowing anything about past issues that geocachers have had with false bomb scares. I only found this out when I asked my reviewer to take a look at my collection of caches on Etsy. He responded that he liked all of them except this one. He explained the past issues and gave me links to articles of where there have been bomb scares. The same day that he e-mailed his response is the day I replaced my local cache with another container and I edited my Etsy page to include the part about making sure that permission was sought and not to place these in an area where confusion might arise. I felt that with that note and the yellow sticker that I send with each container would solve the problem.

My first geocache find was at a war memorial blocks from my residence and across the street from city hall and the police and fire departments and it looked just like a pipe bomb! Even my 7 year commented on it. I assured her that the authorities had to know about it and that it was probably a fluke and not the standard. Little did I know just how many caches look like bombs.

With that being my first experience with geocaching combined with seeing containers for sale that look like bombs (Wizzbangs, Soda Forms, Bison Logs) and knowing the GC.com's favorite container is an ammo can, well surely you can see how it did not dawn on me that my fake plastic (1 oz) grenade with a yellow sticker that says GEOCACHE would not raise a fuss?

Frankly all of the publicity has put sales through the roof. My only intention now is to recoup my investment, stop selling them and focus on the 40+ other geocaches that I make.

People are responsible for their actions. If someone purchases one of my items and uses it in a way that it is harmful then that rests upon their shoulders. If you purchase one, then take care to place it on your property or in a location where you have permission and if found by a non-geocacher, won't cause a panic.

I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE for any shadow that this has cast on geocaching or to the millions of people who love this sport as much as I do."

That makes it a little bit better...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:48 »
Like the man said:

My first geocache find was at a war memorial blocks from my residence and across the street from city hall and the police and fire departments and it looked just like a pipe bomb! Even my 7 year commented on it. I assured her that the authorities had to know about it and that it was probably a fluke and not the standard. Little did I know just how many caches look like bombs.

There's a good reason why 'pipe bomb' caches can't be tolerated. You think it's a clever container and won't bother anyone in this location, then some n00b (25 finds!) finds it and it's justification for his 'bomb' cache.

Cripes....

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 13:40:19 »
In a private email to me he related how he has come to see the different cultural and geographical mores of cachers around the world, and has taken action on his sales website and in private emails to purchasers to better inform them about the use of this particular cache container. He sounds sincere in his email to me in regards to the outcry, and is considering further action if he deems it necessary.

He has also removed the fake grenade from his own cache and replaced it with a plain container.

Kudos to him for the quick action in what was probably an avalanche of attacks and vitriol.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss