Author Topic: Where should I get my GPSr repaired?  (Read 2998 times)

fradjoh

Where should I get my GPSr repaired?
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:04:14 »
Hi,

I recently bought an Oregon 450 to replace my Oregon 300.  At the beginning, everything went well, but lately, I started having doubts with my compass's precision which seemed to get worse and worse.  To compare, I went out this morning with the old and the new.  Displayed precision: New: between 20 and 40 meters.  Old: between 3 and 7 meters.  Something is wrong!

I want to get my unit repaired.  Is there a reliable place in the Ottawa region where I could go or should I contact Garmin?

Thanks.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Where should I get my GPSr repaired?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:21 »
I think Raytech in Montreal, http://www.raytech.ca/en/services/repair_service.asp, is the only Garmin Authorized repair depot.
Check with Garmin in case you need an authorization number.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

fradjoh

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 14:45:01 »
Finally, I'll contact gpscity where I bought the unit.  They're farther away, it's gonna take longer, but it will be easier for the warranty.

Thanks Bluelamb.

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:44:36 »
Have you calibrated your compass?  Select Set-up, Heading, Compass Calibration.

I had an issue with my first 450 and I called Garmin as it was within the one year warranty.  They were most helpful and contacted Raytech for me with an authorisation number.  Raytech is Garmin's authorised Canadian repair centre.

Raytech was great too.  You can actually talk to staff, they have an online tracking system for the status of your repair, and they turn things around quickly.

For more, see http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=976.msg8215#msg8215

Good luck.

adh yow
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

fradjoh

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:09:15 »
I emailed gpscity, they had me re-calibrate my gps (which I already did).  I re-did it, it didn't work.  They then told me to call Garmin.

I called Garmin, they told me to do a master reset.  I did, then re-calibrated the unit: no luck.

They then told me to send it to raytech.  It's on it's way, I will wait and see...

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:19:04 »
Any news on your GPSR?

fradjoh

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:58:14 »
It's supposed to arrive next tuesday.  They said it's should be a new one, we'll see.  One thing I'm curious to see: When I sent the unit, I also sent the screen protector and the SD card.  I'm not sure if I should have sent them (I had no choice for the screen protector).

Wait and see...

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 18:42:43 »
When I sent in my device, I pulled the card.  I also contacted Raytech to ask them to transfer my tracks and waypoints from the old device on to the new one if it was possible.  I was able to speak to some there at Raytech and they were totally cooperative. They charged me $15 but I really appreciated the convenience. Perhaps you could call them and ask for your card while also asking them to transfer data from your old device.

fradjoh

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 15:30:14 »
I received it today.  My old SD card was included.  The only thing missing was the screen protector, I don't mind.  Transferring the old data is not a problem.

I can't wait to play with my new toy!   :) :)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

fradjoh

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 07:57:58 »
Thanks.