Author Topic: Using our GPS in the field  (Read 3829 times)

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
Using our GPS in the field
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:06:02 »
So, we have all googled solutions on the internet, used various websites to solve puzzles of all kinds, but what happens when you run into a puzzle in the field and you don't have access to software or websites to solve them?

I would like this topic to be dedicated to tips on how to solve simple or not so simple problems in the field.
Some of the tips may be unit-specific as not all GPSs have the same functionalities available.

Here is my first question:
With an Oregon 450, how can I tell the bearing between two waypoints if I am not located at either waypoint?

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Using our GPS in the field
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:47:38 »
So, we have all googled solutions on the internet, used various websites to solve puzzles of all kinds, but what happens when you run into a puzzle in the field and you don't have access to software or websites to solve them?

For me (my GPS is the original yellow Garmin e-Trex) it means coming back home to the computer, solving the problem, and making another visit later.  However in your particular case it seems that all you'd have to do is manually enter the two waypoint coordinates in your GPS and then have it make the computation.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 12:09:10 »
Build a route with the 2 points being apart of the route. you should be able to then read the information of bearing and distance between the two points in route information.  Not 100% sure the step by step process for a garmin but the theory should be the same.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 18:32:58 »
With an Oregon 450, how can I tell the bearing between two waypoints if I am not located at either waypoint?

Exactly what hidnseek said, go to Routes and build a route between the two waypoints. The data screens will tell you the distance and bearing between the points.

My MAP60 will also allow me to select 'measure distance' from the menu on the map screen. You then move the cursor over to one waypoint, hit enter to relocate and then hover over the second waypoint.
Cheers,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 18:48:33 »

I would like this topic to be dedicated to tips on how to solve simple or not so simple problems in the field.
Some of the tips may be unit-specific as not all GPSs have the same functionalities available.

From the main menu, press "Where To?".  Then press the Target button (looks like a bullseye).  That will take you to a choice of starting points, including waypoints.  Select "A Waypoint" and then pick the waypoint you want.  Then you'll get a different selection of possibilities (many of them irrelevant in this context).  Select "Waypoints" and then find and select the destination waypoint you want.  Then you'll get a map display showing that waypoint, and at the top of the screen, it will display the distance and bearing of that waypoint from your starting waypoint.

Not very intuitive, but the functionality is there...

Barry/litg

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 23:49:42 »
Thank you for the tip. That's a really cool feature!
Love that if you don't actually pick the second waypoint, you can actually see distances and bearings for multiple waypoints at the exact same time.

Thanks to all who responded. If you have other "in the field" tips for this unit or other models, feel free to add to this topic.

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:57:29 »
From the main menu, press "Where To?".  Then press the Target button (looks like a bullseye).  That will take you to a choice of starting points, including waypoints.  Select "A Waypoint" and then pick the waypoint you want.  Then you'll get a different selection of possibilities (many of them irrelevant in this context).  Select "Waypoints" and then find and select the destination waypoint you want.  Then you'll get a map display showing that waypoint, and at the top of the screen, it will display the distance and bearing of that waypoint from your starting waypoint.

Not very intuitive, but the functionality is there...

I just found this posting, and it was a definite Aha! moment, so thanks indeed for the information.  I considered it an irritating deficiency that my Garmin Dakota 20 couldn't tell me the bearing from one waypoint to another.  I also couldn't figure out what the 'target' option did, never figuring it was cunningly hiding the function I'd wanted a few times.

Another feature I have looked for but failed to find is range ring plotting.  I thought this might be something to with the 'target' option, but couldn't make it do anything, let alone plot a ring.  Perhaps the range ring feature is also cunningly hidden, enlightenment is welcome...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:06 »
range ring feature

I take it you mean the proximity circle? The Garmin MAP60 family allows you to select 'proximity' from the main menu, select a waypoint, and apply a rather coarse proximity circle to it so that an alarm sounds when you get within that range. It's useful for some infield puzzles or when placing caches. If I remember the discussions I've overheard the Oregon/Dakota/Montana family of units doesn't have this feature, but that may have been corrected in a firmware update....

Blue-

(edit for spelling)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:38:55 by bluelamb03 »
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:25:45 »
range ring feature

I take it you mean the proximity circle? The Garmin MAP60 family allows you to select 'proximity' from the main menu, select a waypoint, and apply a rather course proximity circle to it so that an alarm sounds when you get within that range. It's useful for some infield puzzles or when placing caches. If I remember the discussions I've overheard the Oregon/Dakota/Montana family of units doesn't have this feature, but that may have been corrected in a firmware update....

Blue-
They might have the ability to draw proximity circles, but it may not be obvious.

I originally didn't think the new eTrex family was able to draw them, but while trying to figure out how to do the projections for "Walk the Walk: Last Stop" on my GPS just now, I discovered that the eTrex 20 (and the 30, since they both use the same firmware) can draw custom proximity circles. 
The eTrex 10 uses different firmware, so I don't know if it has this capability.

Here's how to do it with the eTrex 20 & 30 (I am assuming that it will be similar on the other paperless caching Garmin devices).
I think this is really cumbersome, but with this being my first GPS unit, this may be the norm for Garmin devices.

• Locate the cache you are working with in the Geocache list and click once to select it
  • You should see the cache displayed on the map. DO NOT PRESS GO!!
  • Press the Menu button and select Review Point
  • Press the Menu button again and select Save as Waypoint
  • You will now be shown a Waypoint info screen
  • Press the Menu button and select Edit Waypoint
  • You will now be shown the Edit Waypoint screen
  • Press the Menu button again, scroll down the list and select Set Proximity
  • Enter the Proximity radius you would like and select Done
  • You will now be back at the Edit Waypoint screen
  • Click the Map button and you will now see a yellowish proximity circle around the cache

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:14 »
Nicely done BlackRose67! That's it exactly!

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:10 »
Here's how to do it with the eTrex 20 & 30 (I am assuming that it will be similar on the other paperless caching Garmin devices).
I think this is really cumbersome, but with this being my first GPS unit, this may be the norm for Garmin devices.

I don't have my GPS with me at the moment [hangs head in shame] but I will have a look tonight and see if this translates to the Dakota20.

Thanks

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 13:51:46 »

• Click the Map button and you will now see a yellowish proximity circle around the cache

Sadly, you can only see the proximity circle if the waypoint is also visible on the  screen. If you're trying to find where two proximity circles intersect, and zoom into the intersection, when the waypoints disappear off the screen, the circles do, too.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 14:40:59 »
*tsk*

Once again the MAP60 series demonstrates superiority over the 'nouveau' devices....  ::)

Blue -

- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 15:04:25 »

Sadly, you can only see the proximity circle if the waypoint is also visible on the  screen. If you're trying to find where two proximity circles intersect, and zoom into the intersection, when the waypoints disappear off the screen, the circles do, too.
Seriously? Wow, that's useful  ???

Guess we'll need bigger screens  ;D