Author Topic: Garmin GPSmap62s Troubleshooting/Updates/Chirp Function  (Read 1793 times)

geonerding

I'm looking to gain some better insight about this particular GPS'r unit. I've read some articles online regarding some updates as well as the ability to detect Chirp I couldn't figure out how to use the chirp feature and would like some help with this device either in the form of a website or by feedback from other people who have this same GPS'r unit.

Marc (scout_toujours)

Re: Garmin GPSmap62s Troubleshooting/Updates/Chirp Function
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:18:07 »
Mine runs great, no problems with updates.... I've yet to use the chirp function...

geonerding

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:37:33 »
Mine runs great, no problems with updates.... I've yet to use the chirp function...

how does one use the chirp function on a gpsmap62s. I thought maybe it had something to do with the wireless function.. such as the send/receiving.

PA

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:05:17 »
I keep the chirp OFF unless I am looking for a Chirp cache.  I thought keeping it off would save battery life and/or help speed of functions.

If you are asking how to turn it on, here is what I do.

MENU
SETUP
GEOCACHE
CHIRP SEARCHING (select ON or OFF)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 21:19:17 »
The chirp (from my magellan understanding) can only be picked up by one GPS at a time, thus if you are not the first amongst your group, it may take longer to detect you.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

JoMari

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 08:19:34 »
Well I find the chirp works well if you have it turned ON as PA mentions. We leave it turned off most of the time to conserve battery power. I have found with ours that it normally only seems to pick up the chirp when it is actively navigating to a cache. A little 'chirp' and the screen says chirp detected and asks if you want to see chirp details. From here you can choose to navigate to next stage if the chirp gives coordinates or just view message and continue as you were. You can always view the details afterwards from the view geocache menu as long as you are still navigating to the same cache. From my experience you lose the data if you stop navigating or change to another cache.