Author Topic: Garmin GPSmap 62s, GSAK & Basecamp  (Read 3174 times)

penguins lament

Garmin GPSmap 62s, GSAK & Basecamp
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:35 »
I'll try to keep my rambling short, but if I'm not making sense, let me know and I'll explain in more detail.

I previously used the combo: Garmin 60 + Mapsource + GSAK and was able to (after installing custom symbols) export from gsak to mapsource and my GPS with those custom symbols.
And then transfer tracks and waypoints (with the custom icons) back from my GPS into Mapsource.

Now I'm using a 62s (and transferring as geocaches instead of waypoints, although children are sent as waypoints).  I've managed to send everything to my GPS (via GSAK) with the icons I want, but when I transfer back into basecamp, they are all treasure boxes.

yadda, yadda, yadda...

Can someone point me to a site that has a good website/tutorial on how to properly configure my GPS, GSAK and Basecamp to maximize it's usefulness for geocaching?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Garmin GPSmap 62s, GSAK & Basecamp
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:55:27 »
Despite Basecamp being provided with my Oregon, I continue to use MapSource. Basecamp drove my older laptop to it's knees, and I did not find it very useful at all.

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 20:52:51 »
I can't stand Basecamp.  Not terribly user friendly and a crashes pretty easily.  The 450/Mapsource combo works well for tracks but won't transfer waypoints.  Though its inconvenient, I'm prepared to deal with it if it means avoiding using Basecamp.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:24:52 »
I experimented with Basecamp when I tried Topo Canada 4 maps, but I disliked both products and deleted them both.
An example of how progress is not always for the better....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:56 »
The version of Basecamp coming with Topo V4 was awfully outdated (when I got it). There's a way to update from within the software itself, or you can download the latest version from Garmin's website.

Basecamp is much better than Mapsource in many ways. The version I'm using never crashed on me (3.x.x).

I'm not sure what you mean by "transferring back to Basecamp". Basecamp acts differently than Mapsource where you had to download your tracks and waypoints to the computer to see them on the screen.

Basecamp just reads files and drives and will act on what you select. For instance, when the 62s is plugged in the USB port and Basecamp is launched, it will read what's in memory and on the microSD card. You can select from the left-hand list what you want to display. "All Data" will most likely be your tracks and waypoints. "Memory Card" will most likely be your geocaches.

Geocache icons are those used on opencaching.com (of course...), but the only ones visible will be the traditional caches. All the rest will use a dot. I guess this will be fixed if someone reports it to Garmin. If you select one geocache, it will then show you the proper icon and all the details you can see on your GPSr (difficulty rating, terrain, logs, description, etc).

On the left-hand menu, "Devices" will be the GPSr and memory cards and "Library" will be the imported GPX or GDB files.

You can drag and drop some or all waypoints, geocaches or tracks to and from "imported" files or GPSr. Very easy to work with when you get used to it.

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 21:02:51 »
Thanks for the tip Cron on an updated version of Basecamp. 

I assumed -- incorrectly -- that while in Basecamp and clicking on the option to automatically update the software would have done just that. ::)

Based on your tip regarding v 3.3.3 I checked to see what version I was running.  Imagine my surprise when I saw v 2.x.x

So I went to the Garmin site and searched for the Basecamp update for about 15 minutes before I finally tracked it down at:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

I'm playing with it now and can report that it is much better than the crappy version I was running.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam