Author Topic: What to recommend  (Read 2903 times)

graciious

What to recommend
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:37:52 »

I am a Garmin guy, but I don't want to lead people down the only path I know.   I have recently introduced a friend to geocaching and they enjoy it but I need a recommendation for a paperless GPS.  Something that is waterproof and as kid friendly as possible would be nice (he likes to hold it while it's navigating).

The Magellan options are looking good for entry level, I am not sure how the Dakota/Oregon line is running at the moment.  I hope someone can give me their thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: What to recommend
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:42:00 »
I'm a Garmin guy too, I've had some poor experiences with Magellan in the distant past, but as an entry level device I think highly of the Magellan GC. It's inexpensive and easy to use but more importantly it arrives already loaded with useful maps. Even inexpensive Garmin units often require you to make an additional purchase of one of their map products.

Don't get me wrong, I like the detailed maps I use, and appreciate being able to toggle between topographic maps and road maps depending on my goals, but that takes money and a degree of user knowledge that your newcomer might not possess yet. Have them check out the Magellan line; things have improved in the last five years....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 14:02:58 »
i would not recommend a garmin unit to any first-time user. the devices and manuals are not user friendly! nevermind the whole map business.

i did recommend the magellan xplorist GC to friends in southern ontario who wanted to try caching and they are happy with the unit and have now found hundreds of caches!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 16:11:54 »
I'm a Geocaching noob (Geonoob?) and went with the new Garmin eTrex 20 for paperless caching.

For detailed maps, I installed the open street map files on it for caching and auto use. It is also routeable for auto use.

Depending on where you get it it'll set you back about $200 for the basic version (a higher priced version with extra maps and accessories is in the $250-$270 range I believe), so it's more than some may want to pay starting out if they are not completely sure they'll stick with it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 16:13:32 by BlackRose67 »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 17:21:26 »
For detailed maps, I installed the open street map files on it for caching and auto use. It is also routeable for auto use.

Depending on where you get it it'll set you back about $200 for the basic version (a higher priced version with extra maps and accessories is in the $250-$270 range I believe)

That's not bad, but the Magellan eXplorist GC is cheaper still.....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

graciious

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 06:08:42 »
I have recommended the Explorist GC 310 which comes in at 179.00, they are planning on making it a birthday present for him, he'll be 10 but I don't think any of them are tech savy enough to deal with map installation.  I know I am already going to have to have a sit down with them and have a how to on the transferring caches to the GPS.

They won't be using GSAK or other tools because it's not going to be cost effective for them until the whole family starts to get involved.

Thanks for the advice.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 22:22:13 »
The best thing to recommend is for them to find a caching friend or group to show them the ropes, and demonstrate the fun of geocaching. Better that than let them get bogged down in the frustrating world of poor user interface with a gpsr and maps and transferring waypoints, etc.

It's a rare person who can overcome the frustration of all the above, while searching for the fun in the game.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

graciious

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 14:02:40 »
I wholeheartedly agree Model12,  I gave them my GPS for the last weekend, loaded with caches in Tremblant.  They were headed there for a rainy indoor weekend of boardgames and family time. They managed to get out and find two caches, the woman I lent my GPS too also did one with me before the vacation for a hands on demo of how it works. 

She made good use of the GPS and went out during the breaks in the rain with her 10 year old and 73 year old father.   Both of whom are interested in caching now, and she is planning on buying a GPS for a birthday in September.

I know I wasn't the first person to mention the sport to her, but I pushed her over the edge and actually got her to go out and try it.  I will continue to work with her and her son, probably taking them out in July for an afternoon of caching.

geocash4fun

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:46:53 »
I'm a maguellan man (lol) who's 13

now I'v never used a garmen so I wouldn't know but right now I'm really happy with my magellan GC 310

geocash4fun/Evan

F0restGrump

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:22:59 »
Yep, I have to agree, for the price, you can't argue with the GC or the 310. And other than the lack of a chirp capability, I don't really miss any of the migh priced options. Heck, I had a mitt full of Canadian Tire money so mine cost me $6 on sale.  ;D And I have access to all the free maps I want.

Cheers, FG

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 17:17:07 »
i am currently using the Magellan 610 adding route maps for driving to the topo it is load with.  For auto routing the unit talks, turn left in 3 km, which is handy.  Also has a camera and is touch screen.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)