Author Topic: The abandoned caches of Buckingham, Quebec  (Read 1747 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
The abandoned caches of Buckingham, Quebec
« on: June 06, 2012, 23:13:43 »
What's happened in Buckingham? Where did all the geocachers go?

Tonight I found a Zobrie cache, "Zobrie #48 - ReTranchée" http://coord.info/GC28GPH, that's been archived for the past six months, but it's there and in good shape too. On the other hand I found a cache, "omax - O coucher du soleil" by matayus et zobrie http://coord.info/GC1Q3TY, that's been a real mess for almost two years with nothing in the way of owner maintenance!

I also didn't find "Zobrie #43 - Formes boiteuses" http://coord.info/GC288M0, but then nobody has since September 2010, and I didn't find Valpin's "OMAX - OLIVE REINE - Valpin #137" http://coord.info/GC1PVNT, which hasn't been found since August of 2010. I hit 'needs archived' on both, neither has any owner maintenance for over two years.

So where did all the cachers go? And why have they left their garbage behind?

Blue -

Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: The abandoned caches of Buckingham, Quebec
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:36:27 »
Zobrie and Valpin still seem to be active, I wonder why they are not maintaining their caches.

Lucky-Lizard

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:55:30 »
Usually Valpin is quick on the trigger whenever a maintenance or archive is needed on one of his caches. I can let him know next time I see him at Catchat's next monthly breakfast meet and greet

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 13:11:26 »
No need, Valpin has disabled his multi until he can check it out.

My broader question is why, if your cache hasn't been found in almost two years and the last few logs were DNF's, haven't you checked on it before now? Zobrie has obviously abandoned his caches, he does no maintenance at all that I can see.

"omax - O coucher du soleil" by matayus et zobrie http://coord.info/GC1Q3TY has had 'needs maintenance' logs on it regularly for the last two years and there's no evidence of any maintenance at all in that time.... very sad that these delinquent owners can pepper the landscape with crap and just walk away.

Blue -
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 13:16:31 by bluelamb03 »
- Sheila Mendonça

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 13:20:14 »
Isn't that why there are periodic visits by the reviewers, who will post notes and eventually archive caches that show such signs of neglect?

ottawabirdbrain

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 22:14:54 »
My broader question is why, if your cache hasn't been found in almost two years and the last few logs were DNF's, haven't you checked on it before now? Zobrie has obviously abandoned his caches, he does no maintenance at all that I can see.

I am not going to bother naming names, but there are plenty of people on the Ontario side of the water who have done the same thing.  It is a reasonably common problem with caches and it doesn't seem to matter how many finds you have.  People lose (partially) interest in caching and maintenance seems to be one of the first things to go.  But as there there are lots of well maintained caches to find, I don't worry about it too much.  If it has the "needs maintenance" flag on, I don't even load it on my GPS.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 07:32:40 »
Isn't that why there are periodic visits by the reviewers, who will post notes and eventually archive caches that show such signs of neglect?

If a geocacher posts a "need archived" after being unable to find the cache (and noticing the many previous DNF or other legitimate reason to think it is truly gone) or after finding a cache that is in dire needs of maintenance and has had previous notices to that effect ignored, then a reviewer will look at the cache within a few days and most probably disable it with a "will archive in 30 days if not fixed" warning. 

Sweeps of disabled caches are done in most areas at least a few times a year.  It had not been done for a while in Quebec, but one was done this Spring.  It's not quite finished, but the number of disabled caches has gone down from 800 to less than 300.

Making a sweep of all caches that need maintenance is much more complicated.  I tried a PQ a few months ago and actually had to turn it into several, as there are several thousands.  Most of those don't even need maintenance, whatever problem there was has been fixed but the owner didn't post a "owner maintenance" log.  Or the needs maintenance was posted for a silly reason like "pencil lead is broken"  ::) 

As for caches that have repeat DNFs, it's even harder for reviewers to try to do anything about those.  Might just be a hard cache, or a bunch of inexperienced searchers, or people who hunt in winter for non-winter friendly caches.  Figuring which caches really have a problem is best done on the terrain, and reviewers can't really go visit all the caches.

Finally, a cache that has not been found in years... that is not an issue in itself.  Maybe no one went looking (I own a cache that has not been found in 3 years, it's in perfect condition).  I'm never doing a sweep of caches that just haven't been found in a while.  Ask cachedrone how popular that idea is... he was nearly lynched on the GS forums.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:08 »
I agree with TRHW, we can't expect the reviewers to police the abandoned caches, they have too much on their plates already.

What I'd like to see is geocachers in general being more active in policing abandoned caches, posting DNF's and 'needs maintenance' logs where appropriate so a history is built up, posting 'needs archived' when necessary to bring a delinquent cache to the reviewer's attention. It doesn't do the 'sport' any favours to have new cachers discover a moldy abandoned cache like "omax - O coucher du soleil" by matayus et zobrie http://coord.info/GC1Q3TY, that's been a real mess for almost two years with nothing in the way of owner maintenance!

People discover geocaching, throw out a bunch of poor caches, then disappear and leave their decaying mess behind. That's the way it's always been, and I see no way to prevent it in the future. I see it as our responsibility to clean up the trash caches that have been abandoned by delinquent cacheowners, who else could do it? There are many caches out there that have been 'abandoned' and are still in fine shape and being found despite the absentee cacheowner, but leaving a piece of trash sitting out there is not doing the next finder any favours.....

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça