Author Topic: Oregon 450t projections  (Read 1698 times)

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
Oregon 450t projections
« on: July 24, 2012, 08:45:26 »
DJ and I have a relatively new Oregon 450t. Recently needed to make a bearing projection of 58.3 degrees but seem only to be able to project with even numbers only! I have made a cursory search through here, G.com and Google---but no luck to see if decimals can be worked in. Will try converting to Mils, but again, no decimals--though I presume a 'closer' projection. Any other tips would be welcomed. Pitiful manual, we had to research on line just to find out how to delete files. (So much still to learn!)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Oregon 450t projections
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:48:42 »
I think you're out of luck with the decimal degrees, but mils will work. As for the manual, I completely agree. it is completely useless. I use this site as my manual. Garmin Oregon Wiki.

I think it is unacceptable for Garmin to provide such crappy documentation.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:11 »
I usually just round to the nearest whole number.  Unless you are projecting a huge distance being of a decimal fraction on a close projection shouldn't cause much of an error, especially for geocaching where you are dealing with a +/- of up to 10m when looking for a cache/waypoint anyways.

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 09:01:25 »
Thanks for the quick responsses and Wiki page tip. We may be back or more.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:18:20 »
As a quick check if you're in the field and unsure of how big an error rounding the degrees will give, I recommand doing a projection witht the two nearest whole numbers.  So, in your example, a projection with 58 degrees and a projection with 59 degrees.  If the resulting waypoints are close enough together, it gives you a line to search in between.  If they are far apart, you'll know it's worth doing the projection on a computer with geocalc or a similar tool...

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:52 »
Thanks red-haired witch. Didn't think of 'making a line'! Also, just came across another reference to the geocalc and will see what's up with that. Need all the tools we can get! Great help here.