Author Topic: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance  (Read 16083 times)

yukonshawn

Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:10:58 »
Would anyone be interested in a group trip to find for one, or both of the above mentioned caches?

Given that both of these are more than an hour outside Ottawa, the more people we have, the better our results should be.

The proposed time for this excursion would be whichever Saturday or Sunday during ealry or mid-September works best.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:09:51 »
Many eyes make light work for both of these caches, and remember that the East Gate of Algonquin Park charges by the car for day use until Fall.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 22:04:21 »
Yes! For Deliverance. I've already done Mossback. Any Saturday or Sunday in September works for me.

I have 3 Binthairs left to do: Peel the Onion, Colourful and Deliverance. My plan is for Deliverance to be my last one. Knowing an excursion is being planned will give me incentive to get the others done. Both are partly done, so hopefully I should be able to finish them soon.

G_Fours

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:30:05 »
While not a huge concern watch your dates for fall caching. I don't know about deliverance, but I do know there is hunting October, November, December in area of the mossback final. A blaze orange hat or vest might not be a bad idea, or if you want to up the difficulty rating try a hat with antlers.

Here is a link with some of the Algonquin "harvest" dates.
http://www.bafn.ca/harvesting.html

We did our mossback trip in the middle of the season around lunch time. It seemed as most hunters preferred morning and evenings for harvesting. I'm sure someone like Model12 could offer better advice on the hunter's habits.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 21:44:08 »
I'm sure someone like Model12 could offer better advice on the hunter's habits.

I have very seldom ever shot anything that walks on 2 legs and whistles..even geocachers.  ;)

You just do not want to be pissing off hunters by stomping around their hunting area during the season. Go earlier or later to be safe
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

yukonshawn

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:46:02 »
Thanks for the link G_Fours.

Algonquin "Harvest" dates begin the day after Thanksgiving.
I figure the best time for the Mossback trip would be the weekend of September 8, September 15 or September 22.

Based on distance and approximate completion time for each cache, separate trips would be ideal.
Personally, I am hoping to get both by Thanksgiving.

Babushka_Qc

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 14:13:44 »
Yes for Mossback. We are available on September 15 or 29. And 7 seats in the car, geodogs accepted.

graciious

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:55 »
I could certainly be convinced to go, so long as it's not an overnight trip.  The sooner we narrow down a specific date, the sooner I can confirm my attendance. Every date mentioned so far is fine for me.

yukonshawn

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:01:46 »
It is great to see alot of interest in finding the two furthest binthair caches.
Outisde of this thread, I have two others who are interested in a group excursion for these two caches.

From what I understand, WP1 for Mossback, the farther of the two, is perhaps two hours from Ottawa.
So neither of these should be an overnight trip.

How does Saturday, September 15 (or Sunday, September 16) sound for Mossback?
By then the mosquitoes should be pretty well gone, and the likelihood of contiuous 30*C weather should be minimal.

Are there any other preferred dates?

Are there any initiation rituals for the All Finds Club that any of us should know about?

graciious

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:38:26 »
These will be my first Binthair caches :o so I am more worried about rituals for breaking in the newbies.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 19:27:12 »
Are there any initiation rituals for the All Finds Club that any of us should know about?

First rule of the AFC is, don't talk about the AFC.   >:( :P

These will be my first Binthair caches :o so I am more worried about rituals for breaking in the newbies.

Newbies are required to find WP4 of Mossback without a harness. A healthy fear of heights is recommended.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 21:31:45 by kirok »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 21:25:32 »
Newbies are required to find WP4 of Mossback without a harness. A healthy fear of heights is recommended.   ;)

Heheheheheh.....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 21:34:21 »

Goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Jamieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

*cue the banjos*
Steve

- Dr. Seuss

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 01:03:11 »
I'd be interested in Deliverance.  It's a nice part of the Rideau Trail that I've hiked BG (before geocaching :D)

graciious

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:25:38 »
Well, I have a healthy fear of heights so were good on that front.