Author Topic: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance  (Read 17421 times)

The red-haired witch

Re: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:09 »
Well, looks like I'm actually free next Saturday, and I'd like to go for a hike (hoping total distance will be under 10 km... is it?)

Can I get a seat with Babushka?  Earlier post said there was room for 7  :)

(Meeting point is waypoint one of which of the two caches?)

graciious

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 10:58:01 »
I am pretty sure we're only doing the one cache (Mossback) but I could be wrong.  I am riding in the car with Babushka_qc so I am trying to figure out where to meet up.   I am in Orleans.

I can take the Moped only so far before it's not a fun ride anymore.  Waypoint one is beyond the fun distance, and it would take me about 12 hours to get there.  Let me know what you figure out.  If it's easier for me to get to the west end and grab a ride with someone else I can do that.

yukonshawn

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 11:10:52 »
Sorry i have been a little slow responding to this.

Yes, the new meeting time and location are 10:00 am Saturday, September 15, at WP1 for Mossback.

As for hiking distance, from what I gather, this cache can be found using a combination of driving and hiking between waypoints. Perhaps a previous finder can confirm this, as well as the hypothetical hiking distance?

As for other caches, that will depend who you are with.
I will be loading GPX files from multiple other nearby caches onto my little eTrex.

The weather forecast for Saturday seems to be in constant flux.
Now the forecast is indicating mainly sunny skies and 26*C.

The following Saturday (Septmeber 22) will be another Binthair trip.
This time, our target will be 'Deliverance'.
That day, we will also have the added bonus of inducting at least one CCC member into the All Finds Club.

Exciting stuff! Hope to see you all there Saturday morning!

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 12:44:10 »
As a previous finder of Mossback and having visited the area again in mid-August, I can confirm the following:
  • The drive to WP1 takes roughly 2.5 hours. There is more driving after that, roughly half an hour, before getting to the trailhead to the final.
  • The final portion of the drive is on gravel road. I forget exactly how much, but 20-40km total is a rough estimate. If it hasn't been graded recently, it can be a bumpy (corduroy) ride.
  • You will walk around the Barron Canyon Trail. That is a 1.5 km loop. Take a camera - the view is spectacular! It's actually more impressive from the top than from down in the canyon.
  • You will take a second walk to the final. Round trip for that is roughly 1km.
Bottom line - this is one of the long drive/short walk Binthairs.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 14:10:39 »
So about 6-7 hours of driving, for a couple of hours of hiking and one cache... mmm, I think I'll leave this expedition for you more "binthair-crazy" than me people then  :P

Maybe some day I'll go camping in Algonquin and I'll do the hike then.  But right now I'd rather spend more time in the woods and less in the car.  I've had an overdose of car travel ::)

deepdowndawn

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 14:47:33 »
You will walk around the Barron Canyon Trail. That is a 1.5 km loop.

This wasn't even on my radar until Xira's comment. I'm not binthair crazed since few of his caches are anywhere near my hood, but I got my first last weekend and Edgeman10 and I are actually canoeing the canyon this weekend. Sadly we won't be able to join you for the hunt, but look for us from up top! Maybe we'll stop and see how far we get with it if we have time on the way out.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 21:14:29 »
We just found out that we are available this Saturday and would love to join the party.
We will be leaving Kanata North around 7AM. We have 2 extra spots available in our car if anybody is interested.

Does anybody know if there is a parking area at the posted coordinates? If the parking area is further away, should we wait at the parking lot or at the posted coordinates?

Looking forward to visiting the Algonquin park for the very first time.
Keep us in the loop if there is any change in plans.

yukonshawn

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 21:44:47 »
Nice! The more people the merrier.

From what I have gathered from previous finders, we will be driving from WP1 to at least one more waypoint.
As Scotian is the local maintainer of this cache, he has been informed of our epic weekend geo-adventure.

I will have my cell with me, and can provide a contact number for whomever would like it.

As for other caches along the way, there are four traditionals (five if you count this guy:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC107V4) along Baron Canyon Road between Highway 17 and WP1 of Mossback. There is also a mystery cache along the way to WP1.
Further along Baron Canyon road, there is an earth cache about 10km NW of WP1, for those who have never logged or attempted an earth cache.
My little eTrex now has the GPX files for these caches.

Edited to add: The posted co-ords for the earth cache (GC1X6ZG) are a parking lot at trailhead for the Barron Canyon Trail.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 21:50:21 by yukonshawn »

graciious

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 07:33:17 »
Anyone from the east or south end of Ottawa travelling to this event?  I am in Orleans...   I don't want to travel too far on my moped if I can avoid it.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 14:36:01 »
Does anybody know if there is a parking area at the posted coordinates? If the parking area is further away, should we wait at the parking lot or at the posted coordinates?

There isn't a parking area at or near WP1. However, the road is plenty wide so you can easily stop there to wait for everyone. There is an access road right there; you can pull onto it, if you prefer. The same is true for the final. 

Edgeman10 and I are actually canoeing the canyon this weekend. Sadly we won't be able to join you for the hunt, but look for us from up top! Maybe we'll stop and see how far we get with it if we have time on the way out.

I strong recommend that you attempt to do it. At the very least, stop for Mossback's WP1 on your way into the area. Then you'll be better prepared for the option to finish it on your way out. It's quite interesting to see the canyon from both perspectives. You won't be sorry for making the extra effort.

yukonshawn

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 21:51:46 »
So about 6-7 hours of driving, for a couple of hours of hiking and one cache... mmm, I think I'll leave this expedition for you more "binthair-crazy" than me people then  Tongue

There's always the option of doing 'Deliverance' with us the following Saturday (September 22).

You can help Xira celebrate her initiation to the All Finds Club.

deepdowndawn

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 12:18:47 »
Hey everyone, I contacted yukonshawn and he suggested that I put this on the board's. Edgeman10 and I are planning on being in that area to canoe Barron Canyon, but it doesn't look like our timing is going to line up because we will be arriving Friday and hopefully already paddling by Saturday morning.

However, since such a large number of fellow Ottawa geocachers are going to be nearby, I was hoping to ask you guys a favour. We desperately need someone to shuttle our car from Achray campground (about 10k from the earthcache nearby) to the Barron Canyon parking lot at Squirrel Rapids (since our paddle is one-way). We were wondering if one of your cars would mind picking up our car while nearby and driving it down there on the way out. It's not a new car or anything so we don't car about scratches, or hitting moose or anything (there is already a huge dent in the front). If someone on the trip would be willing to do this, we can work something out. I should be at the workshop tonight and I will have a red blazer on since I'm not sure I will be able to recognize you. You can also contact me via my geocaching profile and I can figure out how to get the keys to you. any help would be MEGA-appreciated.

and good luck on Saturday! :)

yukonshawn

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 21:56:07 »
The 'Mossback' trip was a success, despite the fact that it rained at every waypoint and even the final.
The eight of us had an awesome time and made quick work of the cache.
We even met up with Deepdownwoman and Edgeman10 as we stopped for lunch.

This Saturday (September 22), our goal is 'Deliverance'.
Let's meet at WP1 for, say, 10:00am.

GreyingJay

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 09:35:05 »
Congratulations! Those were two of my favourite binthair caches (not least because we had a group road trip much like yours).

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 11:53:53 »
I've been planning for a long time for Deliverance to be my last Binthair. I want to thoroughly enjoy it, which means I want to do it when the weather's nice.

The forecast for this weekend is not looking very promising. For the Westport area, Environment Canada is predicting 30% of showers and the Weather Network is predicting 10-15 mm of rain.

Weather forecasts can change. I propose that we wait until Thursday, or even Friday, to see if things improve. If they don't, then I suggest that we postpone Deliverance to another day. Sunday is fine with me, and I'm ok with leaving it to next weekend, too.