Author Topic: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance  (Read 16691 times)

yukonshawn

Re: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2012, 21:30:00 »
So...

Deliverance this Saturday at 10:00am.

As of now, the weather forecast calls for a mix of sun and cloud with a chance of showers and 15*C.

Who is still in?

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:34 »
If it's going to be cloudy with the possibility of rain, however light, then I'd prefer to postpone again.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2012, 11:03:01 »
The Weather Network for Westport is saying Cloudy with Showers (70% chance of precipitation).
We are OK to postpone, but we will not be able to make it on the Thanksgiving WE.

Sens-eh

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2012, 09:11:28 »
Hidden Treasure

I will be looking for this at 6PM Friday evening with rusmart and her mom and also venturer_catt who though he found it before didn't have a pen and wants to refind it so he can sign the log. 

Woody, geobob and yukon I know you guys have been looking a lot lately - if you want to come back out Friday evening then maybe with more people someone will be lucky enough to stumble across it. 

All invited!

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:05 »
The weather forecast for this weekend is improving. It's not great yet, as in not guaranteed to be at least occasionally sunny, but the POP is decreasing and the temperature will be nice. Part of me wants to go and find Deliverance and part of me wants to keep postponing. I could go on the Saturday or Monday of the long weekend but I realize that's unlikely for many of you. I already know that I'm busy the following Saturday morning (Oct 13).

How do the rest of you feel about this? Are you keen to go sooner than later? If so, then I'll join you. But if you're OK with waiting a bit longer, I'm OK with that, too.

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:38 »
I am pretty flexible so can go either day this weekend, and will also be available the following weekend.  When planning whether to bike or drive to work I usually figure that 30% POP can be treated as meaning its not going to rain, so will be happy to go this weekend.

I can offer up a car/van again, if anyone wants a ride.

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2012, 12:29:51 »
Part of me wants to go and find Deliverance and part of me wants to keep postponing.

It's time to let it go, Xira.  I know the binthairs have been a fun challenge for you, and you don't want the fun to be over. :'(    You'll meet new challenges and still have lots of fun.  :D

I'll reserve a seat with you AI.  I can go either day this weekend, but my preference is for Sunday.  Thanks again for driving (again)

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2012, 12:50:06 »
Ah, the postponing bit has nothing to do with not wanting to be finished. I WANT to be finished. I'm looking forward to having finished all the Binthairs.

The postponing is because this is my last one and I want it to be perfect. Being dripping wet, slip-sliding my way along a trail, and having grey-tone pictures is not my idea of perfect.

I agree with Aleutian Islanders that 30% POP means no or neglible preciptation. The weather network is promising variable cloudiness, which I hope means at least as much sun as cloud. For that reason, I'm willing to gamble and go this weekend. If the forecast suddenly degrades, then I might choose to bow out.

I can go either day. The weather forecasts has me leaning toward choosing Saturday.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2012, 15:00:52 »
The 2 of us are in for this Saturday!
Just like last time, we have 2 extra seats if anyone wants to join us. We are leaving from Kanata North.

So, is that 10AM at the posted coordinates?

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 15:20:45 »
Something has come up since the last email, so now Sunday is the only day for me.

One seat gone!

yukonshawn

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 19:48:13 »
Sunday is the better day for me this weekend, though I can't be out too late, as we're hosting company Sunday evening.

As for 'Hidden Treasure' on Friday evening; I plan to join you.
However, since I'm coming in from Nepean, I will likely arrive a little later; around 6:15 to 6:30.

What are equipment are you bringing for the search?
I have an old pair of winter gloves and a ski pole, which should help.
While there on Sunday, we also had a rake.

Sens-eh

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 20:58:23 »
For Hidden Treasure - Good to hear you will be out Yukonshawn.

I plan to bring my hiking poles and a rake. venturer_catt has mentioned to me something or other about some sort of hand held rototiller type device. I'm not too clear on the details, - but he has something or other that he is planning to bring. Pretty sure he won't be actually rototilling the field though! Lol 

Gloves are a good idea, I am always forgetting to bring out gloves if it's not winter...

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2012, 01:03:22 »
HIDDEN TREASURE

We just solved the puzzle and would love to join the party this Friday evening.
Like yukonshawn, we are coming from the west (Kanata) so we expect to be a bit late as well (same timeframe as yukonshawn).

We will have our hiking sticks with us and some spares if anyone wants to use one to poke the ground.
See you all there!

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2012, 01:17:15 »
DELIVERANCE

So to summarize (hopefully I did not miss anybody):

Some of the interested cachers are NOT available on:
- this Saturday
- thanksgiving WE
- Saturday the 13th
I think that we can also safely assume that the WE of the 20th is not an option either because of GAG18.

So, if we want to avoid deer hunting season (starting first week of November according to model12), that leave us with:
- this Sunday, with not great but most likely OK weather
- Sunday the 14th (my birthday) - unknown weather
- WE of 27th - unknown weather

Considering that we have no idea what the weather is going to be like on the two last options, it sounds like a safer bet to go look for the cache this Sunday.

Does everybody interested agree with the assessment?

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2012, 07:35:50 »
That seems like a fair summary, although you don't mention the continually changing weather forecast.  Sunday's forecast has deteriorated and is now cloudy with showers 40% POP or cloudy with showers 70% POP, depending where you get it from. 

I'm game to continue and have two takers for seats, marvin_gardens and yukonshawn.  I'll have the van again, so can take three more in reasonable comfort.

If the weather forecast gets worse I am OK with postponing at the last minute, but for now we are on.