Author Topic: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance  (Read 16692 times)

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
Re: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2012, 07:51:53 »

venturer_catt has mentioned to me something or other about some sort of hand held rototiller type device.

That sounds rather alarming and might end up making the treasure permanently hidden.  Hopefully it is not quite what it sounds.

What I would suggest is some string and pegs or some other means to facilitate a systematic search pattern.  I found it back in March when there was much less vegetation and it was a tough task even then.  I used my bag, coat, sweater etc. to try and mark areas I had searched. I visited the spot again a few weeks ago with yukonshawn and we had a half-hearted search, but it was pretty obvious a cunning plan was needed to be able to make the find, although I don't think defoliation is appropriate.

Sens-eh

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:52 »
Hidden Treasure

Great to hear you will come out tonight cd. cuts.  

Seeing as to how there are a few of you westenders now who need a bit more time  - then I'd say if we aim for 6:15 it will be fine.  I was trying to maximize sunlight time, but from all reports it's really not visible to the eye regardless of the sunlight!

I've now heard buddysally will be out as well - she's found it before but wants to get some other caches in the area after we are done with hidden treasure.

Don't worry Aluetien islanders - perhaps I gave you the wrong impression - nobody will be breaking dirt - I think it is just something to roll along on the ground.   I think also that clearing the vegetation with a flame thrower would also be frowned upon!

GreyingJay

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2012, 09:55:59 »
Don't worry Aluetien islanders - perhaps I gave you the wrong impression - nobody will be breaking dirt - I think it is just something to roll along on the ground.   I think also that clearing the vegetation with a flame thrower would also be frowned upon!

And you can see from the logs that this idea has been mentioned before ;)

Most people seem to find the cache by accident by stepping on it. The geomob tried a "form a line" search pattern once and it was not successful. I tried to find it once with Nikon Guy and I threw my backpack down at my "zero" point and went in a radius out. We gave up after an hour and it was only when he accidentally stepped on it that we found it... less than two meters from where my backpack was lying. Doh!

Happy hunting tonight!

graciious

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2012, 10:36:22 »
I've been out of commission for a few days, but if this is still going on, can someone send me a txt message?  613-983-6904  I can be there for 6:15 without a problem.

Thanks!

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:27 »
Hidden Treasure

The level of light won't make any difference.  Finding the top of that container is just plain random.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:43 »
 ???
Most people seem to find the cache by accident by stepping on it. The geomob tried a "form a line" search pattern once and it was not successful.
  ???

GreyingJay is incorrect, only when we put 5 people in line abreast and shuffled through our grid that we found it, after several previous attempts. Once you're in the GZ just be systematic, you'll eventually step on it.

Good luck,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

yukonshawn

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2012, 11:15:50 »
I think also that clearing the vegetation with a flame thrower would also be frowned upon!

I have suggested this numreous times.
Unfortunately, I lacked fire-making rudiments during each visit.

If anyone has small garden stakes and/or flagging tape, bringing it would be a good idea.

Sens-eh

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2012, 11:25:45 »
Hidden Treasure

Text sent to graciious.  

Ok! Now we are starting to get some numbers for this evening.

Sens-eh
rusmart
Venturer_catt
Yukonshawn
cd. Cuts
buddysally
graciious

And that's not counting how many of those names might actually be two or more people.  

Unfortunately, neither woody or geobob have chimed in - I tried contacting woody through groundspeak but it seems like the email option might not be working (it is not cc'ing my email on it anyhow).  if anyone has more direct communications with them ... Perhaps you could give them a holler....

GreyingJay

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2012, 13:03:35 »
GreyingJay is incorrect, only when we put 5 people in line abreast and shuffled through our grid that we found it, after several previous attempts. Once you're in the GZ just be systematic, you'll eventually step on it.

I should clarify, the one geomob attempt during which I was present, failed to find it using a line search. That was the day we had eight people searching for an hour and I declared that we had spent the equivalent of a full day's work trying to find the cache.

You did find it a few weeks later on a return visit, but I didn't know you did the line search again.

Good luck tonight!

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2012, 13:05:24 »

I should clarify, the one geomob attempt during which I was present, failed to find it using a line search. That was the day we had eight people searching for an hour and I declared that we had spent the equivalent of a full day's work trying to find the cache.

You did find it a few weeks later on a return visit, but I didn't know you did the line search again.

Good luck tonight!

When you arrive, put the GPS down and let it settle in one place, then adjust as you need.

Good luck!!

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2012, 21:26:12 »
Congratulations to everyone who was in on the find at Hidden Treasure this evening!

With that find, YukonShawn only needs to find Through the Looking Glass in order to join me on the threshold of the AFC. Aleutian Islanders is also very close, needing only to find Through the Looking Glass and Bonnie and Clyde. IMHO, neither of those caches is worthy of the being a final Binthair.

So, I propose that we once again postpone the visit to Deliverance. One reason is that the weather is not looking very promising. But another reason is if we wait another week or two, there could be 3 entrants to the AFC. The trip to Deliverance, then, will be so much more of a party.

I would encourage those of you who were keen to find Deliverance on Sunday to use that day to find Through the Looking Glass and/or make the trip out to Bonnie and Clyde instead.

I think I'm the holdout for October 13. I have a non-negociable commitment at 9:30. It will probably be done by 11:00 and for sure by 12:00. So in addition to the days that cd.cuts listed earlier, October 13 could be a candidate, but we'd have to meet at WP1 at 2:00 instead of 10 a.m.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2012, 21:49:01 »
Congrats everyone!   For your next challenge, try finding it again in three years, only this time have someone remove the cache first, and only look for the HOLE!   :D :P
Back in 2009, G_fours tried to find the cache on a few occasions, but then only found a hole where the cache once was.  A quick trip to Home Depot for some replacement parts, a bit of plumbers glue, a new logbook, and having to find the hole that the needle left in the haystack, and voila!, I had a new cache ready for him to return and find.  I'm happy to see that the new container has survived this long, I'm hoping due to the added drainage holes in the bottom??

I still enjoy reading new logs on some of these old favorites.

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2012, 07:57:35 »

So, I propose that we once again postpone the visit to Deliverance. One reason is that the weather is not looking very promising. But another reason is if we wait another week or two, there could be 3 entrants to the AFC. The trip to Deliverance, then, will be so much more of a party.

I am going to sit on the fence on this one.  I was the hold out for today and feel quite guilty as today looks to be a good day weather wise!  The weather forecast for Sunday has deteriorated yet again, so I am not averse to re-postponing, but I will leave that up to my passengers.  I do have an alternate plan in place with yukonshawn to continue the search for Through The Looking Glass if Deliverance doesn't happen.

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2012, 16:43:34 »
Congrats on finding Hidden Treasure!  I was a bit concerned I'd get another nasty email if the cache went missing.  Thanks Kirok for maintaining these.

As for Deliverance, the forecast for Perth as of 5pm is 80% POP, with 1mm of rain.  I'd go based on the 1mm of rain. Aleutian, since its your car, you need to decide if you want a bunch of muddy/wet fools in and out of the car.

No worries about not going.  The induction of three (3) more AFC members sounds like the best reason to postpone it. If we don't go, I've got two, maybe 3 other east end Binthairs waiting to get found.  Sat Oct 13th works best for me as the next time.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2012, 17:06:48 »
The forecast for Westport is saying rain all day, 5mm.
Somehow that  doesn't make us look forward to going.

However, we do not want to miss out.

So, if somebody writes here by 10PM that they are going for sure, we will come as well. But currently our preference is to postpone until the 13/14, which will give a chance to have more AFC members on that day.