Author Topic: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance  (Read 16698 times)

yukonshawn

Re: Binthair Roadtrip: Mossback and Deliverance
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2012, 17:23:38 »
Due to a combination of the weather and my schedule, I would also prefer to delay our trip.
If it is absolutely certain that people are going tomorrow, I will likely join. However, I have to be home by 4:30pm, which doesn't leave very much time for caching.

I'm good for Saturday and Sunday next weekend, as well as Saturday, October 13.
As for later dates, I'm out of town for a week, starting Sunday, October 14, but should be back for GAG.

The possible induction of three members is tempting.
However, the longer we wait, the less likely we are to benefit from favourable weather.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2012, 17:34:45 »
As we have said before, we will be out of town for the entire Thanksgiving WE.

So the only chances that we ever find this cache all together before deer hunting season are:
   a) This Sunday - not super great weather, nobody seems ecstatic about it
   b) Saturday, the 13th after 2PM
   c) Sunday 21st (i.e. the day after GAG)
   d) WE of 27/28

We will come on the first day that somebody confirms they are going for sure.

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2012, 18:28:52 »
In email discussions with the occupants of my car (yukonshawn and marvin_gardens) the consensus is to wait, so given cd.cuts' comments I think we are all agreed on postponing.  I guess we will be resuming discussions about the next possible date soon, at this point I will be available for all dates.

Tomorrow I will be searching again for Through The Looking Glass tags with yukonshawn, we are only at the second tag, so if anyone wants to join us, more sets of eyes will be welcome, especially given our repeated failure to find the second tag.  I am not sure what time we will be heading there, that is to be determined, but if anyone is interested in joining us can you contact me directly.

Woody06

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2012, 19:12:24 »
I will also be out of town Thanksgiving weekend, but I would be able to go on Saturday, Oct. 13.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2012, 12:04:56 »
Huge congratulations to marvin_gardens for finishing up 4 of the more demanding Binthairs yesterday. WOW! He just has Deliverance left to do. I'm now hoping for 4 entrants to the AFC. And I'm really, really hoping for great weather on October 13!

GreyingJay

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2012, 12:29:07 »
Congratulations all!

I'm glad you didn't try for this Sunday -- the rain was drizzling all day long and it was cold and miserable (even though I spent all afternoon at an outdoor concert.. doh!)

geobob7

• Jr. Cacher
  • GC3R69H
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2012, 18:45:46 »
Sorry I missed out on the Hidden Treasure find, but I was down in the Finger Lakes region with our walking club for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I would probably be able to go for Deliverance sometime on the Thanksgiving weekend, but it appears that is not popular with anyone. I will likely have to miss out on Deliverance since I will be on a hiking trip down in Arizona from the 13th to 18th of October. I have also solved Bonnie and Clyde, so if anyone else is going for that one I would like to tag along. After Arizona I won't be going anywhere else till next year.

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2012, 20:34:47 »
Huge congratulations to marvin_gardens for finishing up 4 of the more demanding Binthairs yesterday. WOW! He just has Deliverance left to do. I'm now hoping for 4 entrants to the AFC. And I'm really, really hoping for great weather on October 13!

Thanks for the kudos Xira.  It sounds impressive when you put it that way, but each cache had been attempted at least twice in the past before. (either partial or unsuccessfully).  My motivation was being inducted into the AFC along with hopefully 3 others.  Oh and it rained each time I got close to the cache, except for Lifesaver...that one I got a soaker.  :D

yukonshawn

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2012, 21:28:12 »
So, now it's looking like we will have four new inductees to the AFC on October 13.

Four Binthairs in one day is pretty impressive regardless.
And some of those were pretty long walks and/or required some pretty tough slogs.

Oh and it rained each time I got close to the cache, except for Lifesaver...that one I got a soaker.

I still have nightmares about our bushwhack to and from 'Life Saver'.
Aleutian Islanders and I picked one of the worst possible days to grab this one.

Depending on your approach, I imagine the slog to 'Maximum Surprise' could also have been quite brutal.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2012, 22:09:13 »
Great work everybody!
Quite an impressive record for a number of cachers in the past few weeks!

We have also done our homework (I mean outdoorswork) recently and we should be reaching binthair #22 at Deliverance with the AFC group, which would be a half-binthair.
Not sure that we will ever reach the AFC, but you never know. Time will tell...

Looking forward to witness the upcoming quadruple milestone.

penguins42

« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2012, 11:21:48 »
You can bring that number up to five...  After seeing marvin_gardens' batch of logs for Sunday, I've decided that I want in on the fun too!

I have already found DELIVERANCE, so while I can't actually join the AFC at the same cache, I can do my final binthair on the same day and accompany the DELIVERANCE group.  I was a little short on time when I did the cache and only did part of the walk but would love to do it in its entirety.  I'm going to make a push to finish up my remaining caches in the next week.  That is everything but Four Tall Ones which I would get the morning of DELIVERANCE.

With myself included, that makes all the cachers who have found 30+ binthair caches in the last year potential AFC inductees on the same day.  I can make it on the 13th or any of the dates cd.cuts mentioned.  The only date of the month which I'm not available is Oct 14th.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:25 »
You can bring that number up to five...  After seeing marvin_gardens' batch of logs for Sunday, I've decided that I want in on the fun too!

Yahoo!! Penguins42 is my Binthair partner. I'm thrilled she's going to be part of the AFC party at Deliverance.

I'll take the liberty of letting you know that she has found but not logged 2 Binthairs: Belly Button, and Benches and Bearings. (If I were cleverer with words, I'd do something with that alliteration!) She just has 5 left to go. The Missing Link is the big challenge among them. We're getting together tomorrow to finish it up.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!

yukonshawn

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:19 »
So, it looks like we're still on for 'Deliverance' this Saturday.

I have seen mixed results for the weather forecast; some models indicate showers, while other models indicate a mix of sun and clouds. Nailing the forecast from four days out is still a longshot, so we will know better in a day or two.

From what I recall, there was one participant who could only make it by 2:00pm.
Please refresh my memory regarding this issue, before we agree on a meeting time.

See you Saturday!

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:06 »
I will be very close by, but will be unable to join up. Bummer... It's one of my last few.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2012, 13:54:47 »
I'm the reason we're not starting until 2:00 if we go this Saturday.

I have a meeting I must attend at 9:30 in the morning. I've advised the chairperson that I will leave at noon-hour, which gets me to WP1 for 2:00. I suspect we'll actually be done around 11:00 but I can't be sure of that.

I, too, have been watching the weather forecasts for this weekend. Got my fingers crossed!