Author Topic: Ape in the Hole - GC36CWC  (Read 4614 times)

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
Ape in the Hole - GC36CWC
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:40:22 »
Hi Everyone,

I am here to vent about how the people that give this game a bad name are ruining my fun.  >:(

I am getting very frustrated with fellow cachers...I was mainly frustrated with the ones that find my trackables and then never place them again or loose them and then it was finders that tell me things like the log book is missing, which causes me to make a trip to check on things, only to find the log book there. 

Today I get this log on my "Ape in the Hole" cache:

monkeyman08 (note this is the members name)

found it last night,,the monkey head broke so i replaced it with a plastic container,,hope the owner dosnt mind,thank you for the find

This person has found a total of 10 caches.  No one else has mentioned any problem with the head...the whole point of the cache was to find the Monkey Head...not a plastic container in a hole.

Grrrrrrrr!!!

Once I cool down, I will contact this person to see if I can get my container back to repair (if needed)

Val

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Ape in the Hole - GC36CWC
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:31:02 »
Just to update things...

This cache isn't too far from home, so I went over to have a look to see what type of container was left as a replacement.  I found the hole, and the large rock used to cover things but ................... .................NO CONTAINER!!!!!

Now I'm not sure how to handle things...I would love some input from some of the veteran's and/or reviewers as to what I should do.

I might suggest that other cachers check on their caches if this person found one of theirs to see if it's still there.

GopherGreg

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 14:08:05 »
Dang! This is close to my house and I was hoping to find this one soon!

Looks like 'Monkeyman' liked your cache container a bit too much. I'd send him an email, asking if he is willing to give you the cache back. You should also mention this to someone who has any sort of authority on the site, who can tell him to put the cache back or his account will be locked. Also, if you contact hime let hime know that even if the monkey head had a crack in it, he had no right to take it, and should of left it to be maintenenced by the owner. I really don't know what else to say/do...This has never happened to me!

Good luck,
GopherGreg

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 14:33:54 »
Considering the cacher's name, I guess the person couldn't resist stealing your property.  The cacher has only been caching one week.  Let's hope the cacher learns some good caching habits, quickly.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 20:02:31 »
I'd contact the member to let them know that swapping the container of a cache they do not own is seriously frowned upon and that you want your container back.

I'd also mention that you went to the cache location and the supposed replacement container is not there.

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 05:45:00 »
I didn't want to wait too long to contact monkeyman, so here is a copy of the email I sent:
Hi there,

I am replying to the comment in your log on my Ape in the Hole cache, as to whether or not the owner minds you taking the container. Well I do mind, I was quite disappointed when I read your log. I see you haven't been caching for very long, but the proper procedure if there is a problem with a cache is to leave a note on the cache page or contact the owner directly, so they can decide what to do to fix things.

I would like to have my monkey head container back. The whole point of the cache was to find a monkey head not a plastic container.

I went over early yesterday morning to see what type of container you left as a replacement and I wasn't able to find anything but the crack in the rock with a large rock inside but I couldn't find any container in there.

The best way to proceed with returning my monkey head container to me would be for you to put it back in the crack in the rock at the coordinates for the cache and send me an email once you've put it there so that I can go by and pick it up.

You should check out all the information in the Help Center on the Geocaching website, this will fill you in on all the guidelines so you will know all the ins and outs of the game or if you have any questions just let me know and I would be happy to help.

Talk to you soon,

Val

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:41:51 »
That's an excellent note! I hope Monkeyman follows up very soon.

GopherGreg

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:50:59 »
That's a good note. You handled the situation better than I would've. Hopefully you get your container back, although I wouldn't be suprised if Monkeyman chooses to ignore you email.

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 13:00:01 »
Well guys here is the reply I received.

Oh..im sorry..thought i was helping out..please understand im new at this.was in the area for some shopping and decided to find some goodies...thing is the ape head was crushed into peices(you should have seen that when there)i did leave the ape head there but also left my container..you say my container is there?ill pass by when I can to take mine out,sorry about that,but i dont have your ape head..never really took it..just replaced it in the same spot,
Now as for help on geocacheong,ill just learn as i go,no need to study the rules it is just a game.now like i said ill come get mine when i have the time i live in east ottawa amd do come to kanata very often...hope your ok with that..not my fault the ape head was crushed,maby should have been hidden better(ps i found the ape head hanging in a tree,well what was left of it,not in a rock.thanks

Sent from Samsung Mobile

I haven't replied to this yet.

GopherGreg

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 16:46:08 »
--Wait--So originally, he said he TOOK the ape head, and now he's sying he DIDN'T take it? Before he said their was just a crack, now he said the whole head was crushed... If the whole head was crushed, how could the cache be haning from a tree? Sounds like he trying to just get away with the container. He also never mentioned giving the container back either. ??? This guy is just FULL of bull...

Also seems your Maritime way maybe goose bay is missing too! And he's asking why you deletd his log... Geez, this guy must hate you...

Again, Good luck,

GopherGreg
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 16:48:27 by GopherGreg »

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 16:57:01 »
Best thing to do first, is contact the cacher, as you have.  Sometimes things happen and get blown out of proportion.  Secondly, no need to jump to it being a cacher, it could have been a muggle and a cache was the first to report an issue.  It also may be a few cachers before someone reports an issue, thus not always the one reporting it that knows what happened.

Sometimes your lucky to be able to resolve the issue, other times you enjoyed the logs you had and move on.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 20:30:51 »
Another Update:

I sent the following email back to monkeyman:

So tell me again....where do I find the container you placed....in a tree???

He responded with:

Not in a tree..hanging in a tree...its there..i mean i cant explain the tree,i cant explain why its in the tree i figured you the owner placed it there..i guess you just need to remake it.i tried to help

I headed back over to GZ to look for the containers,  here are my track logs:

I looked for about 30 minutes and couldn't find anything in any of the trees near GZ.

I think that monkeyman is just stringing me along and that my monkey head container is probably hanging from his rear view mirror or in his bedroom.

Because of this issue as well as too many others, I have decided to make all of my remaining caches for premium members only.  I was going to archive them as they disappear, but I will try this step first and hopefully this will help minimize the problems I'm having.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 22:24:51 »
That's really unfortunate that you've lost two more caches (in addition to the two MIA ones in Barrhaven and the one you had to archive along that same path last week).

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 23:01:51 »
That's really unfortunate that you've lost two more caches (in addition to the two MIA ones in Barrhaven and the one you had to archive along that same path last week).

Yes I think I've had more than my share of missing caches lately.   

GopherGreg

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 16:49:49 »
Wow. That's too bad. Maritime way maybe goose bay was an amazing location. And I always wanted to find ape in the hole. Luckily I just got a premium membership a few days back so I can view these!