Author Topic: Chances'R vs Summerhays  (Read 2140 times)

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Chances'R vs Summerhays
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:05 »
I enjoyed my diner at Chances'R yesterday.   Mind you, I go there a lot so I'm biased.   Given that they have proven that they can accommodate a larger group (we were around 40 people yesterday - great attendance), my vote would be for going there from now on.    What say you?

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Chances'R vs Summerhays
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:45:48 »
I think they were approached back when we decided to move from Mexicali Rosa's at Dow's Lake and they weren't interested in accommodating so big a group. I think that, aside from the patio we occupied last night, they don't have any separate function room where they could isolate the rowdy geocachers from their normal customers as Summerhay's does....

I know of several 'clubs' that meet at Summerhay's for this very reason, many venues can't segregate large groups doing regular events.

It was nice of Chances'R to put us up for the evening, and Casey, or server, did yeoman service (I hope everyone tipped BIG!), but when the patio closes for the winter where would they seat 40 people? In the main dining room? Would the other customers mind the speeches and raffle draws?

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:04 »
I took a look last night, and indeed the indoor section is too small, too separated for our needs.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:19:05 »
Last night's dinner reminded me of Mexi's and our "long lines of tables" that we did there.

What I like about Summerhay's is that the room allows us to gather at tables and walk around without being in a long line of tables.

Having said that, I enjoyed the meal last night (my stir fry was a bit cold, but I'm not going to complain given the sudden rush of 40 people's food orders). I wouldn't mind going back again sometime.

Maybe as a summer venue?

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 13:10:10 »
I did call around and this was one place at that time.  They could not give us the space for the numbers (50) when I asked.  Summerhay's though not perfect for everyone, has been great for our needs.  Private booth tables for the the quiet ones and share tables with room for all to walk around while not disturbing the rest of the restaurant.  Sometimes we have even expanded into the over flow room  :o

We did move from Mexicali Rosa's as we grew to big for that space, 2 long table and narrow lane between for waitstaff, which was awkward.

Was there any info on when they would reopen?  Do we need to find alternative for next month?

Things to look for:
can seat 50 people in same section
somewhat convenient to get to (yes I know, with woodroffe closed tricky at moment for summerhay's, but still close to queensway)

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 13:20:33 »
I called, they were open last night at 7pm, after it was fixed.  Next month is not an issue.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 18:50:12 »
Excellent!

Thinking back on last night's adventure, and lessons learned, if I had to do it again I would have remained behind at Summerhays to catch any latecomers. That would have solved Isabelle's issue with thinking the meeting was canceled, and her unfortunate drive to and from the venue.

My apologies to her and any one else who arrived to find us all gone.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

bbrimacombe

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 18:05:07 »
tcort and I saw the sign posted on the front door of Summerhays and that's how we found our way over to Chances R.  I guess we have the advantage of being low tech and didn't see any of the postings on the cache page until we got home :)

The red-haired witch

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 23:25:09 »
Extra information for future event organizers :

Mr Moore, the owner of Chances R, seems very willing to have more geocaching events at his place.  As discussed above, it might be a bit difficult with a group of 40 (though he didn't have any objections), but if you're expecting a slightly smaller turnout for you event, then it's a good option to consider. 

And if someone organizes another event there, maybe I'll get to actually try the place  ;) :P

junglehair

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 19:48:25 »
Summerhays does work well for our group, but I do like the idea of switching it up once in a while.  Perhaps Chances 'R could be used every second month in the summer when the patio is open.