Author Topic: "Dangerous" caches  (Read 4991 times)

Frogging101

Re: "Dangerous" caches
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 13:38:37 »
Concerning Tunnelin' I was intrigued by the 48 favourites, 45% of premium members loved this cache.  What does that say about our worldwide group of weirdos?

I think it says a lot about the cachers who found the cache, about the type of cacher they are, the type of caches they like. There are people who would do anything for that one grid square remaining in their matrix, who need to have the most 5/5 caches, who need that extra bit of risk and a touch of the outré to make the cache worthwhile. I suspect for every cacher who found that cache you could find others who said no thank you.

It was a storm sewer pipe. It was probably muddy, wet, smelled bad and was full of spiders etc. A real treat! Not the kind of spot I expect a geocache to bring me too, and the risk of death is just the icing on the cake!

Blue -

I would never venture into these areas (Storm sewer pipe, abandoned subway) alone. As you said, the inhabitants of such areas are something to be avoided. Even with a group, I probably wouldn't go in, just because of the spiders and the spiderwebs. What I dislike most about going outside is not the rain, the snow, or the cold (In fact I like these things usually). It's the spiderwebs. When I was little, I got a big spiderweb directly into my face and the spider ran down my back. Ever since then I just can't go near spiderwebs. If I need to open the window and there's a spiderweb near it, I can't do it. If I need to clean my computer (which sits in the basement) and there are spiderwebs near it, I can't do it. I hate spiderwebs!

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 13:49:29 »
5/5 for me is walking through a field of frogs and worms, a sewer would be about a 2 ;)

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

GreyingJay

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 13:51:51 »
5/5 for me is walking through a field of frogs and worms, a sewer would be about a 2 ;)

Don't encourage them! :P ;)

GreyingJay

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 14:06:08 »
I hate spiderwebs!

I'm not a fan of spider webs either, but I hate cockroaches even more. Luckily they're not really an "outdoor" bug around here due to the extreme climates. But boy, did I get a nasty surprise this past spring when I went for my first geocache find in Hong Kong. Found the park, found the path, found the tree, found the suspicious looking piece of bark covering up the pile, lifted it up and YIKES!

... I have a confession, I didn't sign that particular logbook that day. I didn't even open the container. Yeergh! *shudder*

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 14:28:36 »

Yah, a field of frogs would be a sufficient deterrent for me too...

The red-haired witch

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 15:14:39 »

Yah, a field of frogs would be a sufficient deterrent for me too...

I'm willing to protect you guys from those ferocious creatures (and even cook them with garlic butter if you want  ;)).  I'm ok with anything that has 4 legs or less. 

In exchange will you retrieve a few caches from "way too high in a tree or on a cliff" for me?  I don't feel the need to get every cache, but sometimes I solve a puzzle without checking the terrain rating before, and then I'm annoyed  ::)

Green Frog

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 17:51:49 »

Quote from Portera:
:Yah, a field of frogs would be a sufficient deterrent for me too...End of Quote

Oh, where is there a field of frogs?
I'll get the cache for you!
Green Frog

lacwitt

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:41 »
I've been in storm sewer pipes for work, (before they are activated) and while some are just runs of concrete pipe, there can be areas in some of the sewers that are used for "storm water management" which are basically deep holes that fill up with water.  Some being 20, 30, 40 feet deep.  There is a reason these areas have 100 lb cast iron lids covering access to them.   :)