Author Topic: Messages disappearing from this forum  (Read 1898 times)

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
Messages disappearing from this forum
« on: October 15, 2012, 18:39:36 »

This afternoon, graciious created a new topic inquiring about the software Camouflage. I then replied to him, pointing him to an older thread from this forum that was discussing the same topic.
This evening, I can not see either message on the forum.
Neither message seemed offensive (at least to me), so I am wondering: is this a software glitch, or were the messages deliberately removed by the forum moderator?

If it is the latter, could you explain the reason why the messages were deemed inappropriate so that we can understand our mistake and not repeat it?

Thank you to all CCC volunteers that are maintaining this forum and allowing the local caching community to share ideas and organize activities together.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Messages disappearing from this forum
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 20:40:04 »
Hmm.  Interesting.  There are no reports of errors in the forum logs, nor any record of an administrator deleting the posts.  It is remotely possible that the hosting provided had an issue with the back-end database processes and had to stop them and roll-back to a previous state.  This would likely have shown in the error log though.  I checked on the last posts performed by graciious, and the form shows his last was done on Sep 28. Was was logged in today though, the log clearly shows that. 

Has anyone else notice any strange behavior TODAY?  (I'm not looking for a run down of everything odd for the past year, please).

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 21:49:56 »
Not noticing anything unusual.

I can report that I did see graciious' post in the recent posts list earlier today.

If I recall correctly, it was displayed between junglehair's and portera's posts about International Earthcache day, and both of those posts are still there.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:21 »
I saw it, is it possible graciious removed it?

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:17:34 »
I read the post about Camouflage by graciious too. Nothing out of the ordinary there at all.

Is it possible he removed it as superfluous once he learned about the other thread?

I recall a thread on the old forum, with many posting by several members, where one participant removed all his posts, making the thread very disjointed and difficult to follow. But the posts by other cachers were untouched, so I'm not sure graciious could cause cd.cuts' posts to disappear too unless, because he started the topic, he has the authority to delete the entire topic?

Curious. I'll ask him,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 08:38:38 »
I remember seeing the post too.

As for other strange behaviour, I remember this one time I saw model12-- oh, you meant on the forums.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 13:29:27 »
I checked with graciious and got this reply back:

Sorry Lib, I deleted my topic, because it was a duplicate.  I went back and looked, and it turns out I spelled the camouflage wrong when I did my initial search for existing topics.  I just haven't had a chance to repost my question in the existing topic.

Thanks for checking in.

Mystery solved!

Blue-
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

graciious

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:16:31 »
Sorry about the confusion,  I am sick and not thinking clearly.  I know the policy is search first then ask, but in my original search for Camouflage I spelt the word wrong and it didn't get a result, so I started a new thread. Then when I was told about the existing thread, I slapped my own hand, deleted the duplicate thread and have plans on posting my question in the pre-existing thread but haven't had time.

I am fighting my cold and leaving for vacation tomorrow.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:11:13 »
No worries mate. Take care.

As an end user, I've always liked to have control over my posts, but as an admin it's a tricky POV. If an important thread with good information was started by someone and then decided to delete it at a future date, all that good info is gone.

We'll use this as a lesson learned and decide on perhaps tickling the forum permissions. Maybe an upgrade while we're at it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 14:23:25 by kirok »

graciious

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:34:07 »
I really like having the ability to remove posts that are made, like in this case... in error.  I hope that feature doesn't disappear.  I suppose it should just be with great care that entire threads be deleted.  In my case, an error in post doesn't qualify as useful to anyone. That's my two cents.