Author Topic: Geocaching Tools for Android Phones  (Read 2852 times)

Sapper76

Geocaching Tools for Android Phones
« on: October 22, 2012, 19:29:24 »
Hello,

I'm fairly new to geocaching (around 300 finds since last October) and very new to these forums. I was participating in the GAG18 event on Friday night and was doing one of the puzzle caches in Shirley's Bay that required you to visit two traditional caches and at each of them a bearing was provided. At first, I thought the only way to find out where they intersected would be to go back to my laptop and use GPS Visualizer. However, we happened to arrive at the second required traditional cache while Geonerding was there and they had an app for the iPhone called IGCT that was able to calculate the exact coordinates of where the two bearings intersected. Does anyone know of an app for the Android that can do that?

Thanks very much.

Sapper76

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Geocaching Tools for Android Phones
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 21:18:37 »
You can also do this right on your gpsr. If you know 2 wps and the bearing from (or to) each and the cache.

Have a read here http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=356.0
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 21:34:53 »
Hello,

I'm fairly new to geocaching (around 300 finds since last October) and very new to these forums. I was participating in the GAG18 event on Friday night and was doing one of the puzzle caches in Shirley's Bay that required you to visit two traditional caches and at each of them a bearing was provided. At first, I thought the only way to find out where they intersected would be to go back to my laptop and use GPS Visualizer. However, we happened to arrive at the second required traditional cache while Geonerding was there and they had an app for the iPhone called IGCT that was able to calculate the exact coordinates of where the two bearings intersected. Does anyone know of an app for the Android that can do that?

Thanks very much.

Sapper76
GCC (GeoCache Calculator) is an Andoid app that has similar functionality to IGCT and can do the intersect calculation.

Sapper76

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:19:21 »
Doh! I had GCC on my phone, but obviously didn't know the full capabilities of it. Thank you both for the advice.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:43 »
It's in the Coordinates section of the app and is called Intersection Bearing.

Sapper76

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 14:00:11 »
Thanks BlackRose...I tried it and it works well. However, model12 has me very curious how to do it on my Garmin Montana. I read through the link he provided and it just doesn't make sense to me.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 14:22:22 »
I've done the projection on my phone and I'm curious if I can do the same projections with my GPS.

We are heading back there this weekend to get that particular cache, since we didn't get that one Friday night/Saturday morning.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 21:41:33 »
Thanks BlackRose...I tried it and it works well. However, model12 has me very curious how to do it on my Garmin Montana. I read through the link he provided and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Just read the geocache "DOUBLE CROSS" by binthair (GC364C) http://coord.info/GC364C. Better yet, go find it.....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 22:24:53 »
Ah, you newbies have it to easy with smartphones these days.  Should have started when there was no Google Sat. maps, or no maps on the GPS.   If you really want a test of this go do http://coord.info/GCD73D You can do all the calculations on the GPS.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:52:58 »

Just read the geocache "DOUBLE CROSS" by binthair (GC364C) http://coord.info/GC364C. Better yet, go find it.....
At the moment no one can find DOUBLE CROSS; One of the tags is missing and if I read the logs correctly, another is damaged or partly missing.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 23:50:14 »
Not really related to the topic of this thread but we have a geocoin (911turbos) that has been trapped in DOUBLE CROSS since last March.

It is our very first GC ever (that we received as a gift), so it is a very special GC for us.
Would anybody who knows where the DOUBLE CROSS container is located be able to rescue our GC? We would be soooo thankful.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 18:26:27 »
Done. It'll be at the Meet & Eat Tuesday night if you want it. Otherwise, off it goes again.  :D
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 19:19:09 »
Thank you model12 for that lightning-fast rescue!

The GC wants to go to challenging caches. Whether they are challenging your brains or your body, it is all good. That is, for as long as the cache has a reasonable chance of being found by another cacher without having to resort to phone-a-friend.

We will be delighted to read the logs on its next adventure(s).