Author Topic: Looking for a specific area  (Read 1248 times)

dmjk

Looking for a specific area
« on: November 02, 2012, 13:04:48 »
Hello,

I am not overly experienced with geocaching (I've only found 17), but my boss has asked that I arrange a team outing geocaching event. I figure we'll likely have anywhere from 5-10 people show up, and ideally I'd like to find an area where we can leave our cars and find 5 or so geocaches within walking distance.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! I'd like to be in Ottawa, but it wouldn't matter which end of the city as people would be coming from different places.

Thanks!

GreyingJay

Re: Looking for a specific area
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 13:50:49 »
There are lots of good spots. I suggest Stoney Swamp in the west end (416, Hunt Club area), Bruce Pit, Conroy Pit, and surely tons of others.

Just about anywhere that people can park and access a wooded hiking trail, you can expect to find lots of geocaches there too. Select an area that's convenient for your group members and then use the mapping function on Geocaching.com to show a list of all the caches in the vicinity. You'll probably want to pay attention only to Traditionals (green icon) and not worry too much about multis or puzzles, although you might also want to introduce your group to a short one-or-two-stage multi, depending on how much time you have.

When you select the caches you take people to find, look for container sizes of "small" to "large". One or two micros might be fun if they're sneakily hidden (model12's birdhouse series, for example) but if you're introducing people to caching, you want there to be a bigger payoff than finding, say, a nano tube attached to a pine tree :P  There are lots of good containers in Stoney Swamp including classic ammo box hides.

Read the logs, too, make sure people are reporting that it was a nice hike and an easy find. For example, Xira's GAG18 - Stumbling Around was a fun GAG experience, but not something I'd use to introduce people to the joys of geocaching :D For best results, scout the trails yourself shortly before you take them on the outing, so you are aware of any possible pitfalls -- muddy or wet areas, bushwhacks, missing or damaged containers... if you know where everything is you will save them the frustration (and embarrassment) of a DNF.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 13:56:02 by GreyingJay »

dmjk

Re: Looking for a specific area
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:51:09 »
Thanks so much GreyingJay!

This is exactly what I"m looking for! I haven't ventured to the Stoney Swamp area at all, so I'll take a visit and find a few caches prior to taking the group.

This is great info, thanks. :)