Author Topic: Where do they logs end up if....  (Read 1425 times)

waxwing454

• Jr. Cacher
Where do they logs end up if....
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:38:28 »
There are plenty of caches out there which are owned by cachers who haven't signed into GC.com for months.  I'm wondering where in cyberspace the logs for their caches end up in this case or if they have changed their email address and have not updated their profile.  Sometimes, it's a case of casual comments in found logs that the cache needs maintenance and in others, a maintenance log is posted resulting in no apparent response. "Sam's Turtle" GC33C0 comes to mind.  It has been archived but I'd put up four notes suggesting for fellow cachers to replace the container if they are planning on looking for it and to  breathe new life into it. 

I know...I know...it's the responsibility of the CO to maintain his/her cache but as many COs know, a little kindness goes a long way. 

graciious

Re: Where do they logs end up if....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:59:37 »
I would not be surprised if people that have decided to drop out of "the game" mark messages from the sender as spam, and never see the messages after that point.  If you're no longer interested in something you learn to ignore things related to it.   It is frustrating when good caches get archived because someone hasn't followed through with their end of the bargin. So those messages are lost in cyber space and will likely never be seen by the cache owners eyes.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:16:08 »
I think some inactive CO's just ignore the messages.

It turns out the former CO of the Titan caches did not change e-mail addresses, but just ignored the NM logs for those caches for quite some time.

It took almost 5 months to get a response to my request to adopt them.

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:30:13 »
It could be any number of things. Could be that the CO changed email addresses and no longer uses the one the logs are being sent to. Could be they've set up a filter to delete the emails. Could even be (less likely though) that the email provider has been a bit aggressive about filtering out what it thinks is spam. I recently checked my Gmail "spam" mailbox and was surprised to discover a significant number of emails that weren't spam that Google had decided not to show me, including important stuff like a note from Traci of Worldcaching.com informing me that my order would be delayed (geez, no wonder it took so long!)

Believe it or not, I have seen threads on the Geocaching.com discussion forum where someone posts a message like "How can I disable emails about my caches? They clutter up my inbox". You can guess how those discussions went!

I'm watching Burt's Bees 2 in Kanata very carefully for the same reason as waxwing454. No finds since February, multiple DNF's. The cache is most likely gone. The CO hadn't logged in for months. I have posted notes and sent them personal messages to please check on their cache or disable the listing. The CO logged in recently, yet did nothing! So I posted the NM log. I'll give it a few more weeks, and another shot at contact, but if nothing further happens, I will submit a "Needs Archived" on the basis that the CO is not maintaining the cache.

I feel like this is playing hardball but I also think people should be responsible for the caches they put out!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:31:59 by GreyingJay »