Author Topic: Loading Solved Mystery Caches into GSAK, but not unsolved ones  (Read 6584 times)

Sapper76

Hello All,

Thanks very much to those of you who introduced me to the amazing macros in GSAK...they sure do help and save a lot of time.

I am thinking about a way to reduce the clutter on my GPSr by not uploading unsolved Mystery caches to the unit. However, I am not able to figure out the best way (well, any way really) of flagging solved Mystery caches in GSAK without a lot of manual intervention. Currently, I solve the puzzles and update the coordinates right on the cache page on geocaching.com (corrected coordinates). However, I don't see any way in GSAK of distinguishing caches that I have corrected, unless I manually correct them in GSAK itself.

I'm fairly sure that those of you who use GSAK have figured out the best way of doing this, so if you have any ideas, I'm very open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Sapper76 (Drew)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Loading Solved Mystery Caches into GSAK, but not unsolved ones
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 21:06:18 »
Personally, I never use the Geocaching.com corrected coordinates feature, and I keep most fo my records in GSAK and a personal database (for cache solution work, pictures, etc..)

A quick way to avoid sending unsolved puzzles to your GPSr is to use the "User Flags". 

1) Ensure all your solved mystery caches have the Corrected Coordinates set.
2) Run a Search and show only the Mystery caches that DON'T have corrected coordinates
3) User Flag -> Set for filter only
4) Now simply create a search filter that includes all caches, EXCEPT the ones with the User Flag set.
5) Send your caches to the GPSr.

Voila!

There are more elegant ways of doing this, but this is quick and easy.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 21:55:38 »
I use the corrected coordinates feature in GSAK. Click View/add/remove columns/and check the corrected coordinates indicator box.

When I solve a puzzle it goes into my Solved Puzzles dbase in GSAK, which I then upload to my gpsr. Only solved puzzles get uploaded to the gpsr.

To upload your solved puzzles to your handheld/iPhone/etc is a different matter. Used to be you could upload them via the Geocaching.com app, but they have abandoned that feature (figgers). Use GeoSphere instead. You can email the file to yourself and open it right from withing Geosphere. That way you have the cache page info handy.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 23:10:09 »
I enter my corrected coordinates in GSAK, then use this SqlLite "Where" clause in a filter I created.

CacheType in ('A','B','C','E','G','I','L','M','O','R','T','V','W','X','Y','Z') or (CacheType= 'U' and hascorrected)

This gives me all caches and only the puzzles that have corrected coordinates. Whether it's the most efficient SQL, I won't claim, but it works fine. It may break if GC adds a new cache type, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 23:22:21 »
Holy crap! I, uh, have post-it notes...

Maybe I need to modernize.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 23:24:25 »
I enter my corrected coordinates in GSAK, then use this SqlLite "Where" clause in a filter I created.

CacheType in ('A','B','C','E','G','I','L','M','O','R','T','V','W','X','Y','Z') or (CacheType= 'U' and hascorrected)

This gives me all caches and only the puzzles that have corrected coordinates. Whether it's the most efficient SQL, I won't claim, but it works fine. It may break if GC adds a new cache type, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

Bravo. I do a variation on this, but as a macro with some bells and whistles.   As I said before, there are more elegant ways of doing the job, but for n00bs to GSAK, my "5 step plan" works fine.

Sapper76

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 00:18:01 »
Thanks folks. I see that the consensus is to update the coordinates in GSAK instead of on geocaching.com. I can see many ways to filter the solved puzzles if I make the changes to corrected coordinates within GSAK, so that is how I'll start doing it. Thanks again for all the replies.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:28:50 »
I should have also mentioned that I use

%drop2 %dif1a%ter1a%typ1%con1 %correct

in the Waypoint Name box in GSAK when sending to the Map60SCx. Those are percent signs, btw.

The '%correct' puts a 'Y' at the end confirming corrected coords.

If by chance a non-solved puzzle gets uploaded to the gps, I can see by the displayed code that it does not have the 'Y', therefore unsolved.

The complete code returns a string of numbers and letters, ie;

2y4g5 23RS Y

That's the GC# of the cache, with the letters GC dropped to save space, followed by difficulty, terrain, type, and container. The Y means correctd coords.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:32:01 by model12 »
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:48:50 »
I used to use the updated coordinates feature on geocaching.com as well, but have started using the corrected coordinates option in GSAK instead.
I also put the corrected coordinates in the personal cache note on geocaching.com as a backup.

I am going to use the info posted above to limit what gets sent to my GPS.  I have way too many mystery caches on the GPS that are unsolved.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the data exported from GSAK to work with my phone app, without losing the personal cache note info I've already added, since that info doesn't get downloaded with PQs yet (the new GPX 1.0.2 schema has it, but they keep delaying it's rollout).

I'm fairly new to GSAK and really wondered what all the fuss was about it initially, but the more I use it and learn about it, the more I like it.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 21:51:45 »
I've been using portera's filter to send caches to my GPS and smartphone.

Today I discovered a scenario where an Unknown/Mystery cache falls through the cracks with the filter, but it's not actually a problem with the filter. 

An unknown/mystery cache that is at the posted coords and is instead an in-field puzzle obviously does not get sent to the GPS if you don't correct the coords (even though it's not actually needed).

I discovered this after I found one of CocaColaCachers caches in the Stoney Swamp this afternoon.
I knew he had a puzzle cache nearby but it was not showing in the GPS. Since the coords were not corrected, it didn't get exported.

The quick fix is to set the corrected coords to be the same as the posted.
I opted to add a custom field (boolean) called atposted and modified the Where clause to also include "or (CacheType= 'U' and atposted)" in case there are other unknown/mystery cache like that.

It gives me an excuse to go back to get it and the other CCC cache I didn't grab today :)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 22:36:53 »
The quick fix is to set the corrected coords to be the same as the posted.

This is the way I deal with such situations.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 21:18:47 »
I have an Oregon so I don't use the fields mentioned in some posts.  I have a database that is used specifically for loading into my Oregon.   Before heading out, I copy any caches that meet a certain criteria (sort) into this database.  For example, caches for a specific distance, county, country or distance.  For puzzles that are solved in the field, I use the field "User Notes' in GSAK.  I enter the note 'Doable' in this field for those puzzles.   For those puzzles solvable in the field, I sort them out by the user field value 'doable' and put those into the database ready for loading into my Oregon.     I clean out that database daily and reload.   The reason I do that is that I like to have the most recent log information in my Garmin.  It is usualy very handy.     I realize it takes discpline but I've been using this method for a few years and it takes me no time to do this.  Hope it helps.
Sue