Author Topic: 12-12-12 Event in Ottawa?  (Read 5439 times)

yukonshawn

Re: 12-12-12 Event in Ottawa?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 19:49:40 »
Hmmm.... I may be tempted to call in sick that day.
We shall see.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 17:47:40 »
I have a tentative reservation at the restaurant for 12:12 AM on 12/12/12, and I'll try to write up a cache page tonight. 

Here and on the cache page, I will remind everyone who intends to attend that they need to log a will attend.  I have to update my reservation with the exact number of people the week before the event. 

I will also remind everyone that they should arrive close to the posted time (midnight would be fine), not an hour or half an hour before, as our table won't be ready (they have a very large group coming in earlier that evening).

Finally, I will use this forum (because it's not the type of things I should write on the cache page), to remind everyone that, if you attend an event in a restaurant or bar, you really really should buy something, be it food or a drink.  That's how we pay the business for the space they provide us... a nice heated space with chairs and tables, much better than doing our event standing outside on a sidewalk  8).    Here is the current menu, you can take a look at the late night section... http://union613.ca/#menu, there is also beer on tap and very good cocktails, though they are not in the online menu. 

Of course, event rules specify that you can attend without buying anything, and I won't delete your log if you do (or even if you just stick your head in the door and wave at us before leaving ::)), I'm just stating my opinion as a former business owner.  Also, I like that restaurant and would really like for it to remain in business for a long time and for me to still be welcome there after the event  ;)

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 20:39:18 »
I'll wait and see where it actually is when the cache page is posted.  The website oddly enough doesn't give their address.  Thanks for organising.
I have a tentative reservation at the restaurant for 12:12 AM on 12/12/12, and I'll try to write up a cache page tonight. 

Here and on the cache page, I will remind everyone who intends to attend that they need to log a will attend.  I have to update my reservation with the exact number of people the week before the event. 

I will also remind everyone that they should arrive close to the posted time (midnight would be fine), not an hour or half an hour before, as our table won't be ready (they have a very large group coming in earlier that evening).

Finally, I will use this forum (because it's not the type of things I should write on the cache page), to remind everyone that, if you attend an event in a restaurant or bar, you really really should buy something, be it food or a drink.  That's how we pay the business for the space they provide us... a nice heated space with chairs and tables, much better than doing our event standing outside on a sidewalk  8).    Here is the current menu, you can take a look at the late night section... http://union613.ca/#menu, there is also beer on tap and very good cocktails, though they are not in the online menu. 

Of course, event rules specify that you can attend without buying anything, and I won't delete your log if you do (or even if you just stick your head in the door and wave at us before leaving ::)), I'm just stating my opinion as a former business owner.  Also, I like that restaurant and would really like for it to remain in business for a long time and for me to still be welcome there after the event  ;)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 21:28:43 »
I'll wait and see where it actually is when the cache page is posted.  The website oddly enough doesn't give their address.  Thanks for organising.

It's under "The Skinny"

Our Location

315 Somerset Street West
Ottawa Ontario, K2P 0J8
(613) 231-1010

GreyingJay

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 09:53:59 »
Corner of Somerset and, I believe, O'Connor.

I ate there for dinner once with Nikon Guy, Narcissa and Taoiseach. We had a great time. The staff are friendly and the food was amazing. Even something as mundane as fried chicken was delicious. You must try the cornbread! I'm actually going back there on Thursday to treat a friend for dinner.

It is, however, up there with Wellington Gastropub, Beckta, etc. in terms of pricing.

It is also not a huge place, so I'm sure RHW would very much appreciate accurate numbers.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 13:18:32 »
The event page has been submitted for review.

It is, however, up there with Wellington Gastropub, Beckta, etc. in terms of pricing.

I agree that dinner at Union there might be a bit expensive for a geocaching event (though really only half of what dinner at Beckta would cost), but the late night menu seems reasonable to me.  Prices look similar to the Hearth and Crown, but the food is better  ;)

GreyingJay

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 14:15:19 »
I agree that dinner at Union there might be a bit expensive for a geocaching event (though really only half of what dinner at Beckta would cost), but the late night menu seems reasonable to me.  Prices look similar to the Hearth and Crown, but the food is better  ;)

That's good to hear. Their online menu uses some kind of scripting for switching tabs and for whatever reason it does not work at my desk (our IT department is completely paranoid about security, often scripts are disabled). So I can't see the late night menu prices. :( I could definitely go for some midnight cornbread if I make it to the event :D

graciious

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 14:31:51 »
I've got an east end event listing for the same day (evening) in the works just have to nail down the coordinates.  I should have it submitted for review by the end of the week.  I doubt I will make it to the midnight event, although it would be interesting.

graciious

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 20:51:14 »
My event has been submitted. I hope to see a few people out for some warm food and good time.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 22:48:18 »
And what time should we show up?

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:21 »
The shawarma event listing has been updated; dinner's on at 6:30pm!

I'll be there!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:00 »
I should be able to make the shawarma event.

Starkiller

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 13:50:24 »
GEO has a 12-12-12 event as well... Still waiting to be published: http://coord.info/GC422XT.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 14:50:08 »
My event has been submitted. I hope to see a few people out for some warm food and good time.

Tyros gets a very good rating on urbanspoon: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/250/1459650/restaurant/Orleans/Tyros-Lebanese-Ottawa

Now we need a lunch hour event to round out the day's events!

Blue-
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

The red-haired witch

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 15:20:55 »
Now we need a lunch hour event to round out the day's events!

Blue-

And what about your specialty... the insanely early breakfast event?   :P ;)