Author Topic: Map comparison  (Read 1430 times)

waxwing454

• Jr. Cacher
Map comparison
« on: December 04, 2012, 09:07:02 »
Anyone's thoughts on Dedale's (free) download of trails in the area versus Garmin Backroads GPS maps? 

I've ordered the DVD of the Garmin version since I lost my original version of the Dedale map "disappeared"  from my Oregon along with the TopoCanada map.  (???) Received a tip on how to reload the maps and realized that the updated version of the Dedale map looks quite similar to the Garmin version.  Are the differences worth the price paid or am I a sucker? (Be nice....)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Map comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:46:44 »
I'm cheap  ;D so I never looked into the Garmin maps (didn't get any with my GPS).

I have the Dedale maps on my PC but don't have them on my GPS.

I use the OSM (Open Street Maps) map for the area on my GPS, as it shows the NCC trails, including Trail 41 that is no longer maintained and also not in the dedale maps.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:41:53 by BlackRose67 »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 15:02:48 »
The Dedale 'maps' aren't really a map at all, just a transparent overlay that can be enabled in your maps menu so that it shows atop your selected topo or road map. You wouldn't navigate with just the Dedale trail map or the more comprehensive Ontario Trails Project trail maps, they will always overlay your base, topo or road map.

See http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=52.0 for details on free open source maps and the Ontario Trails Project.

The Backroads Maps looked very interesting, but struck me as expensive especially since the alternatives are essentially free.

Blue -

edit for spelling
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 18:48:59 by bluelamb03 »
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Starkiller

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 15:19:53 »
The Backroads Maps looked very interesting, but struck me as expensive especially since the alternatives are essentially free.

My thought as well...

But I have always been curious to see a solid quality comparison.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 15:36:08 »

My thought as well...

But I have always been curious to see a solid quality comparison.

I'd like to see them firsthand, and there are a few trails I'd like to see. If those trails were present, I might be convinced.