Author Topic: Gaiters  (Read 3306 times)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Gaiters
« on: December 19, 2012, 22:52:51 »
This being my first year of winter caching, I'm going to need something to keep the snow out of my boots.

That's where gaiters come in.  As with most things I've looked at, there are many many options available.

I've seen some listed at MEC and I also saw some Louis Garneau ones at SAIL when I was perusing the snowshoe wall there last week.

Any recommendations on what to get or not to get?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 23:27:02 by BlackRose67 »

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Gaiters
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 23:50:07 »
I have the ones from MEC.

Do not get any of the ones with zippers. Velcro front closing are better. Mine are the tall ones.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:19 »
Zippers can be a problem, the velcro closures are easier to deal with and make them easier to put on and remove.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:15:52 »
MEC has some extremely cheap ones, but the reviews all pretty much say they're garbage. They have a set for $45 that look to be decent and are well reviewed.

Costco sells a set for $16 or so that look to be in between the quality of the lower and upper end MEC ones. And with Costco's return policy, you can't really go wrong. I bought a set and am hoping to try them out soon.

RDLtrekker

• Full Time Cacher
  • Just one more....!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 17:52:32 »
I've been using my MEC (velcro, tall) gaiters for two years and they still look new - very pleased.  ;)
Just one more... :) !

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 22:25:23 »
I ended up getting a pair of Louis Garneau Robson MT gaiters with snaps at the top and bottom plus velcro all the way down the opening.

Sounds like I'll definitely need them on the weekend.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 14:02:44 »
I got the MEC brand last winter. They're tall in the sense that they're not the short ones. They have the velcro down the front.

I really like them! No more snow down my boots or up my legs. No more wet pants flapping around my feet once I take my boots off.

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 16:06:09 »
The beauty of Gaiters is the fact they can be used in all 4 seasons and help with deterring Tcks!

I have a set with the zippers but have a velcro cover over them and have no problems with them.

Binrat

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 21:24:29 »
Not sure if the ones I got fit right (or I've not adjusted them properly), as they are not tight around my boot (which may be normal).

I bought the size recommended, but I can easily slip a finger under them where they slide over my boots.

RDLtrekker

• Full Time Cacher
  • Just one more....!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 22:46:10 »
Suggestion: try tightening the strap that goes under your boot so you gaiter sits lower down the top of the boot where it is wider. You could also return to the store with gaiters and boots to see if sales person can help with fit.  ;)
Just one more... :) !

graciious

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 23:24:49 »
This Christmas I asked "Santa" for the MEC version.  I didn't know there were tall or short with zippers or with velcro, I thought they just came in one size.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:06:36 »
Not sure if the ones I got fit right (or I've not adjusted them properly), as they are not tight around my boot (which may be normal).

I bought the size recommended, but I can easily slip a finger under them where they slide over my boots.

Seems normal to me.  Gaiters don't need to be really tight, as long as the top can close tight (usually has an elastic or string) to keep snow and other things out.  I use the same gaiters for several different pairs of boots and it works fine.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 19:12:57 »
Adjust the strap that goes under your arch so that the gaiter sits snug on your boot top. Hook the hook onto one of your laces. That keeps the snow out. I jumped into many ditches today, into 2ft and more of snow, and not a bit wet at the end of a long day.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 11:23:18 »
Adjust the strap that goes under your arch so that the gaiter sits snug on your boot top. Hook the hook onto one of your laces. That keeps the snow out. I jumped into many ditches today, into 2ft and more of snow, and not a bit wet at the end of a long day.
I tightened the boot strap before I went to the event Saturday and that worked out very well;  

Didn't get any snow got in my boots when Keeper of Maps and I went off to the east to grab Walk the Walk: Last Stop after the event or when I was caching in the Stony Swamp/Jack Pine trail yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:41:29 by BlackRose67 »

graciious

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 19:11:53 »
I opened some gaiters during the unwrapping ceremony at our family christmas.  I got some short blue with velcro from Mec.  Unfortunately they are too small and don't fit my very fat calves.  Can I get an opinion on the tall vs the short version? I might upgrade while replacing my pair.