Author Topic: Gaiters  (Read 3307 times)

Ducky

• Baby Cacher
  • HEY... and where do you think you're going!?!?
Re: Gaiters
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 19:49:19 »
I've got the tall one and find them great for snow and walking thru the brush as well.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 00:43:28 »
I opened some gaiters during the unwrapping ceremony at our family Christmas.  I got some short blue with velcro from Mec.  Unfortunately they are too small and don't fit my very fat calves.  Can I get an opinion on the tall vs the short version? I might upgrade while replacing my pair.

IMHO, the taller the better.  My XL fit my fat calves just fine, and they stop just below my knees.  They do a great job of keeping the snow out even when "post holing", and have the added bonus of extra insulation on the lower extremities.  Can't see the point of the smaller ones when snowshoeing.  Maybe for people who don't do any off-trail.

GreyingJay

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 01:26:30 »
Costco ones are $10 (in Kanata, anyway). I tried them out today (very) briefly when going after Gangnam Style 3. Seem to work OK so far.

GreyingJay

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 14:58:35 »
Just wanted to report that the $10 Costco gaiters have worked very well for me a number of times for park and grabs and slogs through the snow. I waded through knee-deep snow to B.R.S. in Morgan's Grant and since I cinched up the top of the leg with its velcro tightening strap, no snow made it down underneath the gaiter.

Update: I was caching in some bitter cold weather (-17 or so) and when I went to grasp at the velcro tightening strap and gave it a firm pull, it tore off the gaiter completely, stitches and all. So the build quality is obviously "you get what you pay for". I suspect the velcro fastening will eventually wear out too. But hey, for $10, you just buy another pair next year. Still excellent value.

Unfortunately I no longer see them at my neighborhood Costco, as it is a seasonal item and they are now stocking summer gear.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 22:45:36 by GreyingJay »