Author Topic: January workshop at MEC  (Read 1460 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
January workshop at MEC
« on: December 25, 2012, 21:19:21 »
Join local cachers at the CCC 'Let's Talk Geocaching' Workshop

Next meeting: Thursday, January 10, 2013

****** NEW LOCATION ******

Mountain Equipment Co-op
366 Richmond Rd Ottawa, ON

(613) 729-2700

7pm
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:25:52 by hidnseek »
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

Re: January workshop
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:23:03 »
Was there a rationale behind the venue change?

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Re: January workshop
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:25:26 »
MEC has built a community room for groups to hold meetings.  It is an inclosed space on the upper floor, tables and chairs.  The thought is to try it for this month and see if it fits our needs.  The lobby at Dovercourt is great, but is a open space with people coming and going.

Parking in MEC lot is pay parking, there is also a parking lot under the shoppers, enter via the Byron side, or park on street.

We will observe how the space is used in January and listen to feedback on where to hold future meetings.  At this point it is a one month trial not a commitment to a move.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Re: January workshop at MEC
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:30:40 »
Those who take the bus, # 2 and any transitway bus to DOMINION station, then a short walk up to Richmond and along Richmond to MEC.

From MEC webpage:
Community Meeting Room

Our meeting room can accommodate small groups, and is available to local outdoor clubs, ENGOs, or NGOs that have a similar mandate as MEC. The store floor can fit larger groups, but is available only after store hours.

We have audio visual equipment (not including laptop computers), white boards, and flip charts. Use of our space is free. If interested, please email our outreach coordinator at least a month in advance of your event.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:30:39 »
I think the idea of trying out a different venue came about a few workshops ago.

Someone had attended a meeting that I believe was held in the South Nation Conservation Authority boardroom and commented on how nice it was to have white boards and projection screen available for the meeting.

Projection screen would definitely be great for workshops on something like GSAK, the various stats generators, etc.

MadameBibitte

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 20:50:16 »
Yay, a much shorter walk for me!  Seriously, though, I'm happy with any location easily accessible by public transit.  :)

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 22:52:05 »
I'm certainly open to a venue change. We tried a different room within Dovercourt once (one of the fitness rooms) and it changed the atmosphere completely. It felt like a classroom seminar. Not the best.

I don't relish the idea of trying to find parking at MEC amidst a crowd of other cachers and shoppers too, but I'm willing to give it a try.

As for AV equipment, I am virtually always standing by with a projector as long as I have some advance notice. I don't own a projection screen but am on the prowl for a good quality portable one.

See you next week at MEC!