Author Topic: Multi Cache Question  (Read 1722 times)

graciious

Multi Cache Question
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:33:01 »
I dug around on the website and found a few references to multi cache listings, but I was curious to know if a single location could be used as a reference point for multiple caches?

For example, a highway marker with the numbers 254 on it is located at N45 27.239 W075 38.232 (sample coordinates I have no clue if there is a sign here)

Cache A (by imaginary guy 1)says go to N45 27.239 W075 38.232 and divide the number by 7.

Your answer will be  _ _._ _ _

and

Cache B (by imaginary guy 2) says go to N45 27.239 W075 38.232 and use the the digital root of the color of this sign (green) divided by 2 = _

Each cache having no connection with each other, except by chance they used the same sign for information at one point during their multi point journey.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Multi Cache Question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:36:04 »
Yup. Totally fair game. Existing items do not count towards the proximity rules. That's why you will find more and more multi-caches that use signs and posts an other things as cache saturation increases in urban(ish) areas.

GreyingJay

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 22:54:57 »
I think there are rules about how close the posted coordinates can be to each other, but if you look at the caches at the parking area trailhead on Hunt Club near Moodie (e.g. parking area for Bearly Hidden) you'll see that there can be quite a few caches with starting points stacked almost on top of each other.

I do, however, find it annoying when viewing caches in Map view, as it means I have to zoom in quite far to select the one I want.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 23:51:42 »
A reviewer will correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe all physical steps of a multi are subject to the 160m rule. Of course, if that's just one of the waypoint and you don't enter it as a child waypoint, it doesn't matter. But I don't think it would be allowed for the starting point (published coords) of two or more multi caches. AFAIK, only the puzzle posted coords can be closer than 160m from any other cache/waypoint.

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:17:56 »
... I do believe all physical steps of a multi are subject to the 160m rule.

The physical steps of a multi must be 160m from the physical elements of any other cache.

However, there is no distance requirement between elements of the same multi. All of my GAG multis take advantage of that. Some of them have elements as close as 30m to each other.

Check out: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cachesaturation

The red-haired witch

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:00:27 »
A reviewer will correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe all physical steps of a multi are subject to the 160m rule. Of course, if that's just one of the waypoint and you don't enter it as a child waypoint, it doesn't matter. But I don't think it would be allowed for the starting point (published coords) of two or more multi caches. AFAIK, only the puzzle posted coords can be closer than 160m from any other cache/waypoint.

All "physical steps" of a multi have to be at least 161m from other caches (and physical steps of other caches)... but a physical step is one where something has been added to the environment for the cache, be it a container or a tag.  If the step is something like "count the windows on the building" or "read the sign and find the date", then it is not a physical step and is not subect to cache saturation rules.