Author Topic: My Bad Coordinates  (Read 5486 times)

GopherGreg

Re: My Bad Coordinates
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 16:12:24 »
Hmmm.  Your issue may be that your Datum is set incorrectly.  Seems odd to me that you seem consistently off by 15 to 20 meters, even with averaging your coordinates.

You need to ensure that your Datum is set to WGS 84

Here's the section you need from your manual (page 25):

Selecting the Map Datum
1. Access the Tools menu and select ‘Settings’.
2. Highlight ‘Navigation’ and press ENTER.
3. Highlight the ‘Map Datum’ field and press ENTER.
4. Use the joystick (L/R) to step through the various map datums.
5. Highlight the desired map datum and press ENTER.
6. Press BACK.

Thanks. I'm out caching in Casselman tonight, so I'll make sure about my datum. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks Kirok!

Greg.

GopherGreg

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 16:16:13 »
Hmmm.  Your issue may be that your Datum is set incorrectly.  Seems odd to me that you seem consistently off by 15 to 20 meters, even with averaging your coordinates.

You need to ensure that your Datum is set to WGS 84

Here's the section you need from your manual (page 25):

Selecting the Map Datum
1. Access the Tools menu and select ‘Settings’.
2. Highlight ‘Navigation’ and press ENTER.
3. Highlight the ‘Map Datum’ field and press ENTER.
4. Use the joystick (L/R) to step through the various map datums.
5. Highlight the desired map datum and press ENTER.
6. Press BACK.

Thanks. I'm out caching in Casselman tonight, so I'll make sure about my datum. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks Kirok!

Greg.

Nope. I Just was putting some cache to find on my GPS for tonight, and checked my datum. It is exactly what you suggested. Maybe its just something with my GPS? Its not old, I got it last may (2012), so it shouldn't be screwing up because of its age... It does seem to be off more in the cold, but still off in the summer/spring...I'll have to keep looking at it...

Thanks guys,

Greg-

GreyingJay

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 16:26:19 »
Do you find yourself also consistently being sent to the wrong spot when you go looking for caches? Do you end up 15-20 meters away from other people's GZs?

You mentioned having dropped your unit onto concrete once. I wonder if that might have done something. I kinda doubt it, since we're mostly talking electronics and not physical parts, but if the connection to your antenna was damaged or degraded, that could maybe account for something.

Good luck!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 16:29:40 »
Are you going to the workshop at MEC on Thursday?

Perhaps after the workshop a group of us could go outside and create a waypoint on different devices and see what we come up with?

GopherGreg

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 18:07:01 »
Are you going to the workshop at MEC on Thursday?

Perhaps after the workshop a group of us could go outside and create a waypoint on different devices and see what we come up with?

I doubt I'm going to the workshop: I don't know where it is, and it's tommorow; I have hockey. That is a good idea. I know geocash4fun (Evan) has a Magellan, just as opposed to my green one, it's an orange one, I forget its name, but its supposed to be better. Also, one of the cachers I introduced to the sport, SquirellOfWar (Lucas), has the same GPS as mine. I think it may be my GPS, because I showed Lucas how to use every setting he knows of on his. He takes his coords the same as mine, just he doesn't average his like I do, yet every one of his caches seem to have good coords!

Do you find yourself also consistently being sent to the wrong spot when you go looking for caches? Do you end up 15-20 meters away from other people's GZs?

Nope. Not usually, and if I do its usually:
a) Its cloudy, or I'm under trees that scew with your satelite,
b) Its not my GPS, the person's coords are bad,
c) ...Or what happened in Quebec with Evan. We copied them down wrong, and bushwhacked into private property used to farm. Its almost never that though...

I'll keep looking at the manuel Xira shoed me (Thanks!), and when I place an other cache I'll make sure EVERYTHING that I've heard on this page is right with my device. I'll also take waypoints with Lucas, and Evan, and try my dads road GPS as well, which does take coords. Thanks for everyone's help!

GopherGreg-

GreyingJay

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 01:58:23 »
I doubt I'm going to the workshop: I don't know where it is, and it's tommorow; I have hockey.

Just as well if you're not able to come to this one, but if you do, remember it's not at Dovercourt this month. MEC is the big hiking/camping/adventure store on Richmond near Churchill.

GopherGreg

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 16:24:10 »
I doubt I'm going to the workshop: I don't know where it is, and it's tommorow; I have hockey.

Just as well if you're not able to come to this one, but if you do, remember it's not at Dovercourt this month. MEC is the big hiking/camping/adventure store on Richmond near Churchill.

Yeah, I know. MEC is 'Mountain Equipment Co-op'. That's a great store. I get some of my clothes,(For hiking) camping supplies, and other stuff there. I even looked at a few geocaching GPSs they had there!
Scratch that. I'm going with Evan (geocash4fun). So, yeah, maybe I'll take waypoints with you guys. Thanks!

G-
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 16:27:01 by GopherGreg »

GreyingJay

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 16:26:33 »
Scratch that. I'm going with Evan (geocash4fun). So, yeah, maybe I'll take waypoints with you guys. Thanks!

I'll be curious to see how my iPhone coordinates compares with yours ;)

GopherGreg

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 16:27:21 »

I'll be curious to see how my iPhone coordinates compares with yours ;)

Probably better...

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 17:55:27 »
found explorist I have and it does have a option to place a cache, tells estimate accuracy, will chat with you tonight what you are doing and what you can do.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 22:45:13 »
GopherGreg, GreyingJay, and myself had an impromptu waypoint session at the manhole cover outside the main entrance to MEC after the workshop.

GopherGreg's GPS was set up correctly, with the exception that it was set to use magnetic north instead of true north. 
Setting it to true north brought the readings closer to the values that GreyingJay had on his phone and I had on my Garmin GPS.

GreyingJay

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 10:50:42 »
I can't think of any reason why that should have been, so it was either a fluke (maybe it just had extra time to settle) or maybe there's some firmware issue with the GC. deepdowndawn did rightly point out that standing just outside a large building wasn't the most ideal place to test GPS accuracy.

Greg, it will be interesting to see if there's any difference in your ability to find or place caches now that your settings have changed.

For my part, on the iPhone, my coordinates ranged from exactly the same as BlackRose67's GPS, to off by 10-15 meters. Which more or less echoed what they said at the workshop. Generally good, but not necessarily trustworthy.

GopherGreg

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 15:22:07 »
GopherGreg, GreyingJay, and myself had an impromptu waypoint session at the manhole cover outside the main entrance to MEC after the workshop.

GopherGreg's GPS was set up correctly, with the exception that it was set to use magnetic north instead of true north. 
Setting it to true north brought the readings closer to the values that GreyingJay had on his phone and I had on my Garmin GPS.

Thanks GreyingJay, and BlackRose. My coordinates were at first 15-25 meters off, maybe, and after changing the settings that BlckRose mentioned, my coordintes were alot better, maybe 5 meters off. Not perfect, but alot better than before. Thanks guys, for all your input.

Greg-

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 20:13:12 »
when your taking the waypoint do you do it from the waypoint menu or the geocaching menu?  in the geocaching menu there is a place cache option for taking waypoint.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

GopherGreg

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 18:34:04 »
when your taking the waypoint do you do it from the waypoint menu or the geocaching menu?  in the geocaching menu there is a place cache option for taking waypoint.

From the geocaching menu. But I take more than one, two or three usually.