Author Topic: Garmin Oregon 600 series  (Read 3466 times)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Garmin Oregon 600 series
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:26:00 »
Garmin has released some info on a new line of Oregon GPS units, the 600 series

GLONASS has been added.

Here's a link to the US site showing a comparison of the four models.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Garmin Oregon 600 series
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:01 »
I love my Oregon 450. This looks like my likely next unit. For me the positives are

1) They addressed the reflective screen problem (or so they claim)
2) Battery charging in the unit.
3) High speed USB - I mean how long have we had USB2?
4) Bluetooth connections - again way to be cutting edge Garmin!
5) I can see the built-in LED flashlight on the 650 being very useful.

Fortunately, the pricing does not follow Garmin's usual strategy, as it appears to be coming in at $480 CDN and not $650. :)

Not sure it's worth it, but I have had my current one for a couple of years now...

GreyingJay

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:52:55 »
The 450 was on sale at GPScity for $200 over Boxing Week. I was very tempted, but I'm still stuck in old-school "buttons are better" thinking.

However, I'll keep an eye on these new units...

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:59:24 »
I've only had my GPS for just over a year so am not ready to upgrade yet, but the 600 could be my next GPS unit.

I haven't actually used a 450 yet, so I can't say for sure whether I'd like a touch screen unit, but considering how much I use my smartphone for projections, etc. (better interface) I likely would.

The larger screen compared to my current GPS would be a bonus.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 13:01:51 »
The 450 was on sale at GPScity for $200 over Boxing Week. I was very tempted, but I'm still stuck in old-school "buttons are better" thinking.

However, I'll keep an eye on these new units...

I maintain that $200 for an Oregon 450 is a great deal for the money. I am very happy with mine 2 years in.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 13:03:36 »
Poking around a bit more, I found this:

Load All the Geocaches
No more picking, choosing and planning, just download them all. The Oregon 650 can hold an unlimited number of geocaches. Not just one thousand, not just one million. Unlimited. Download every cache on OpenCaching.com. Load caches from GSAK. Or use your favorite program or website supporting GGZ files. All your paperless geocaching features will be there for every cache. Read full descriptions, hints and logs. View cache photos. Filter caches by size, terrain, difficulty and type. Connect to chirp-enabled caches. Record your logs in the field. Do it all. The Oregon 650 has no limit.

What the heck is a GGZ file? I foresee an update to GC.COM.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 13:06:25 »
Speculation on the GC.com forums is that it's something Garmin-specific to do with Opencaching.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:51:09 »
Poking around a bit more, I found this:

Load All the Geocaches
No more picking, choosing and planning, just download them all. The Oregon 650 can hold an unlimited number of geocaches. Not just one thousand, not just one million. Unlimited. Download every cache on OpenCaching.com. Load caches from GSAK. Or use your favorite program or website supporting GGZ files. All your paperless geocaching features will be there for every cache. Read full descriptions, hints and logs. View cache photos. Filter caches by size, terrain, difficulty and type. Connect to chirp-enabled caches. Record your logs in the field. Do it all. The Oregon 650 has no limit.

The GGZ is a compressed file sort of like a GPX file.  Since the Oregon 650 can load thousands of geocaches, I understand that the GGZ file is for those thousand of geocaches.  I haven't tested it myself.   I can't imagine having 10000 geocaches in my GPS.   Other than that, I love my new 650

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:56:32 »
I can think of three distinct advantage to the Oregon 650: 
- the battery charges when I plug it into my car USB drive
- the antenna is very accurate.  Much more so than my Oregon 550.  I like that a lot
- the touch screen is nice.   It's sort of like an iPhone in that respect.   I've customized the screens.   I can also program some shortcuts too.   Look forward to doing some of that.

All in all, a superior unit.

One option I haven't quite figured out (hey, it's new).   I haven't figured out how to navigate to a waypoint.  I can see it on the map and as I  approach, it tells me I've arrived.   Haven't yet seen how to get the distance.   I'm sure it's there.   Still learning.