Author Topic: Looking for local COs to hide a cache on school grounds for school activity  (Read 2252 times)

Tweetiepy

My 12 year old son and I started geocaching after Christmas when my son saw some videos on the web explaining what this was.  He's hooked and so far we've found 5 caches together and I really like this too.

Now he asked that I mention this to his teacher as he's part of an "outdoor activities" program at school and geocaching might fit in somehow.  His teacher seems really interested and might look into it, but I don't want her to bring them to a cache and then have some of the kids come back to mess with the cache.

Would it be a bad thing to contact a local cache owner to ask if they could set up something on the school grounds just for this activity (nothing published that could be found by someone else).

If you were contacted, would it be too much of a hassle?

The red-haired witch

This forum is probably the best place to find a volunteer to help you with this project.  Directly contacting cache owners could work, but many might be less active, and it could be time consuming to contact people one at a time.  Here you are reaching many people at once. 

What area is your school in?

To show the kids what the caches look like on the website, I'd suggest the person helping you with this could prepare a cache page and simply print it instead of submitting it for publication.  It will look like a real one.  Then they can enter the coordinates from the page in a GPS and let the kids navigate to the cache

Of course, it would be important to tell the kids that real geocaches can't be hidden on school grounds (or I suspect we might get many such caches submitted for publication, if the kids decide they like the game...)

Tweetiepy

I'm in Gatineau near just past Labrosse/De la Verendrye - near the big Nicolas Gatineau high school

GreyingJay

Sakidoo and I have done workshops with teachers from Elmwood school. (Ironically, the teacher's name is Mrs. Tweedy :D)

The teachers taught their students the basics of latitude, longitude, GPS, etc. and the school owned a set of Garmin GPS units. We came in and taught them the basics of geocaching, and then sent them out in groups to find "caches". Some of them were real, published caches, and some of them were containers she set out in nearby parks specifically for the kids to find. The teacher then encouraged the students to make their own geocaches, camo the containers (paint, glued on sticks, etc.), then hide them on school grounds, and then passed the coordinates to their peers so they can find each other's containers. It was lots of fun.

I think that is the best way to go. Anybody -- including a teacher or yourself -- could hide a container, collect the coordinates, and then send the kids off to find it. Geocaching.com or its reviewers don't need to be involved at all. Perhaps even you and your son could set some containers out for his classmates to find!

However, like rhw says, I wouldn't encourage kids to hide real, published caches on or near school grounds, even if the school gives permission. In my experience teachers are too busy to maintain the caches after the current school year is over (after all, they have nothing further invested in it) and cachers like myself have difficulty searching for them without feeling weird. "Our Class Cache Has Class" in Westboro is an example of a cache placed on school grounds (it's at the front steps!) with permission.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 16:20:40 by GreyingJay »

FoxEcho

When would the activity take place, or by when would you want the cache(s) to be placed?

Tweetiepy

When would the activity take place, or by when would you want the cache(s) to be placed?

I'm just gathering information at this point, she might not even want to try this with the kids (since it wasn't on the planned agenda and I think she might have to discuss this with the other teachers before anything is done.

I guess I'm just putting out feelers for now to see if someone would be willing to help if and when she decides to go ahead.  I'd hate to get her all excited about this and then not be able to put it together.

Might you be interested?  Very worse case scenario: I might be able to hide it if I got some tutoring - but I doubt it though

FoxEcho

Might you be interested?
I could look into it, yes.

graciious

Depending on the timing I could possibly help out as well, but I don't speak french. So i'm probably not the best candidate for a presentation to kids in Gatinuea.  I have lots of shapes and sizes of geocaching containers that I could don't for a "show and tell" scenario if someone was doing a demo at the school.