Author Topic: Poor cache location on school property  (Read 1594 times)

Starkiller

Poor cache location on school property
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:54 »

"Our Class Cache Has Class" in Westboro is an example of a cache placed on school grounds (it's at the front steps!) with permission.

I remember that one. A school employee gave me a good talking to for parking in the school parking lot. It was the weekend ???

GreyingJay

Poor cache location on school property
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:25 »
I remember that one. A school employee gave me a good talking to for parking in the school parking lot. It was the weekend ???

Yeah, I still haven't successfully found it. The last time I tried, I was literally sneaking around in the bushes in the dark, and I could hear teachers talking to each other quite clearly from the classroom whose open window was just above the search area. I had to give up.

The problem with placing caches like this is even if the school (or shop, business, church, etc.) gives official permission for the cache to exist, what that really means is that one person, or one group of people at some high level, knows about it -- there will still be tons of staff who don't know why you're there, regard you with suspicion, and try to kick you off the property like they were trained to do when they encounter suspicious strangers.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Poor cache location on school property
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:41:28 »
http://coord.info/GC2GNCR

I remember finding this one and thinking that it was in a ridiculous spot, and should never have been published. You CANNOT put a cache right beside the steps leading to a doorway to a SCHOOL and then tell everyone to be 'invisible' as they search...

I see it has lots of happy finders though, so perhaps the school authorities are more knowledgeable about it's presence now.

Still, a note on the cachepage saying that the cache was placed with permission, and that cachers HAVE PERMISSION to be on school property while finding it would probably carry some weight with the police officer that responds to a suspicious lurker report...  ::) ;D

PS; for those who haven't had the experience, or read about it in the forums online, here's how the scenario goes in the US;

You get arrested.
You get charged with trespassing.
You go to the Police Station.
You explain geocaching.
They drop the charges of Trespassing (if you're lucky).
They charge you with Interfering in a Police Officer's Duty.
They drop those charges once you sign papers saying you will not sue the department for the harassment.

You decide to try Munzees instead...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Poor cache location on school property
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:33:04 »

"Our Class Cache Has Class" in Westboro is an example of a cache placed on school grounds (it's at the front steps!) with permission.

I found that one on a Saturday afternoon last July and I really felt awkward searching for it, even though school was out for the summer.

It's very difficult to look inconspicuous searching for that one solo in the daytime.