Author Topic: Puzzle solving introduction caches by CanadianZombie  (Read 2273 times)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Puzzle solving introduction caches by CanadianZombie
« on: January 10, 2013, 22:04:37 »
Sakidoo brought up this series at the event tonight, so I thought I'd post her suggestion here for all to enjoy.  

CanadianZombie, a prominent geocacher in Eastern Ontario based in the Brockville area, has recently published a short series of Puzzle caches for the beginners out there.   At lot of newbies are apprehensive about trying puzzle caches, mostly due to the "I don't know where to start" syndrome.  Living in Ottawa and looking at the geocaching landscape must be pretty scary for any newbie these days, what with the high concentration of puzzle caches we have here.

CanadianZombie's caches are a great place to start.  Even though the caches themselves might be a little further than some would like to travel for a find, the caches are still a great way to try your hand at solving some beginner puzzles, which will help you gain confidence in trying some of the puzzles closer to home that have been staring back at you for a while.

Have a look and try your hand at solving a few:

Puzzle Solving 101: Morse Code
Puzzle Solving 101: Languages
Puzzle Solving 101: Roman Numerals
Puzzle Solving 101: Moh's Scale
Puzzle Solving 101: Dates
Puzzle Solving 101: The Periodic Table
Puzzle Solving 101: Hidden in Plain Sight!!!
Puzzle Solving 101: Cryptography
Puzzle Solving 101: Alpha-Numeric Substitution
Puzzle Solving 101: Digital Rooting

Once you've solved them all and have gained some confidence in your solving abilities, test yourself:

Puzzle Solving 101: Final Exam

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 22:06:15 by kirok »

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Re: Puzzle solving introduction caches by CanadianZombie
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 22:41:53 »
Thank you Mike

Tweetiepy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:53 »
I've looked at a few of the ones we have in the Ottawa/Outaouais region (picked a few at random) and I can't figure them out.

I checked out the first one of that series - yeah that one I can do - but I highly doubt I'll be heading out that way to try this.  Unfortunately only my son and I are into geocaching my 17 yr old daughter & husband (who would be my driver) think we look ridiculous searching around blindly

All that to say, I think I could solve those!

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:33 »
Tweetiepy,

I hear ya. There are so many blue question marks in Ottawa and when I first started looking at them I was intimidated too. But I have been solving more puzzles lately, since I've been working on a caching for 100 days straight, and my next "challenge" is to find 100 NON traditional caches in a row.

I have discovered that for every puzzle that makes me go "Whaaaaaaa???? Yikes!" there are about 5 that I look at and think "OK, I can do that!" And the more you solve, the better you get at solving them!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:48 »
I avoided puzzles for the longest time and then was forced to work on one in order to resolve a proximity issue with a cache I was trying to place.

I didn't fully solve that first one, but I got most of it and found the cache.

That gave me the confidence to start looking at more of them.

Puzzles now make up 9% of my total finds.  I have quite a few solved, but many are marked as not winter friendly, so they'll have to wait until the spring. 
Perhaps I'll have enough to do one of the 25 puzzle caches in a day challenge.

There are some puzzles in the region that I look at and I don't have the faintest idea what to do with them no matter how many times I look at them.
There are others that may not click initially, but a second look a few weeks later may result in that "Aha!" moment.

There are puzzles that many folks find easy that I can't solve because I haven't found the correct online reference, or am not working the info correctly.

GreyingJay

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 14:20:05 »
Yes. Virtually all puzzle "info" can be found via Google or Wikipedia or other online reference. There are very few, if any, puzzles that require you to have the same specific set of knowledge or skills that the puzzle hider has. And there are online tools available to help you with almost anything, from solving a Sudoku, to deciphering encryption or unscrambling letters to form words.

It helps to remember that you are virtually always looking for a set of coordinates, in the format N 45 xx.xxx W 075 xx.xxx. If the puzzle is in Ottawa then you know it's going to be 45 and 75 degrees, so I often start solving an unknown puzzle by looking at the first part and saying "how can I derive a 4 and a 5 out of this?"

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 18:53:07 »
There are very few, if any, puzzles that require you to have the same specific set of knowledge or skills that the puzzle hider has. And there are online tools available to help you with almost anything, from solving a Sudoku, to deciphering encryption or unscrambling letters to form words.

When I first read this, my thought was what about the BrianDiane caches?  They must be one of the few.  And no I am not endorsing them.

yukonshawn

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 21:08:35 »
Those eleven puzzles were dead easy to solve.

I also notice a few D4/5 caches in the same general area.
Road trip to Brockville, anyone?

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 21:36:36 »
Those eleven puzzles were dead easy to solve.

Yup.  That was kinda the point.  :D

Canadianzombie

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:35:42 »
Thanks for the promo Mike and even better, 9 of the 11 are park and grabs
Cheers
Mark