Author Topic: What's a munzee?  (Read 1873 times)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
What's a munzee?
« on: February 14, 2013, 19:06:07 »
http://www.munzee.com/

Munzee is a real world scavenger hunt game where items are found in the real world and captured using your smartphone. You then level up and gain rank based on your score. Points are obtained by capturing other people's munzees or when your deployed munzees are captured by someone else. Munzee is based off of the fundamentals of geocaching and adds another layer of fun to the hunt.

What do munzees look like?  Most look like this:

Munzees come in any size or shape but all must contain a QR-code style barcode. The barcode combined with your GPS coordinates are the essential gameplay elements of munzee.

Munzees can be hidden in containers, camouflaged or even in plain view. They can also be found at your favorite local business.

lacwitt

Re: What's a munzee?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 19:17:22 »
Munzees go well with geocaching.  I like munzees because when I'm looking for them in a parking lot, I don't have to feel like a criminal skulking around waiting to lift a light post skirt to grab a container, and then lift it to put it back.  With a munzee, I can pull up, "snap a pic" and leave.  Sometimes you don't even have to get out of the car. 

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 21:10:38 »
I was out today to clean up the new munzees in Kanata, and noticed that 3 of the munzees I'd previously capped now had a ROSE icon. I had no idea what was up, but I went back and re-capped them perfectly fine. One said it loved me, and another asked me to accept a rose. 2 are in Bayshore and one on Baseline Road east of Pinecrest.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:23:12 »
I was out today to clean up the new munzees in Kanata, and noticed that 3 of the munzees I'd previously capped now had a ROSE icon. I had no idea what was up, but I went back and re-capped them perfectly fine. One said it loved me, and another asked me to accept a rose. 2 are in Bayshore and one on Baseline Road east of Pinecrest.

Munzee.com says: We love you! Do you love us too? 24 hours of Munzee roses begin now (ends 10pm CST Thursday)! 10 points for the capture and the deployer gets 10 points also! Happy Valentine's Day!

One of the features of munzees is that the website can 'play' with the listing like this anytime they want, the only thing in the field is the QR code remember, everything else is back in the servers and is amenable to changes, even temporary ones, at the whim of the marketing director. Here they piggybacked their 'valentine roses' onto existing munzees and gave everyone the opportunity to find more munzees, even ones they had already found, to get more points/levels.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:22:24 »
 ::)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 20:23:32 »
Munzee is also a great way to get out and do something with your spouse that does not like Geocaching and also happens to have a smartphone in their hands for what seems like all their waking hours  ;D

Aleutian Islanders

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:41:18 »
Munzee is also a great way to get out and do something with your spouse

Visiting lamp posts in shopping mall parking lots is so romantic!

SWMBO has been trying out Munzees on her new smart phone.  Personally, I don't get the attraction of them, so if you see her capturing a Munzee and there is a guy in a nearby car scowling, that will be me.

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:50:31 »

SWMBO has been trying out Munzees on her new smart phone.  Personally, I don't get the attraction of them, so if you see her capturing a Munzee and there is a guy in a nearby car scowling, that will be me.

When I read this, I could easily replace 'munzee' with 'geocaching', at least in my house. :D

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 19:51:38 »

Certainly not as enjoyable as hunting for caches for me, but it's something we can do together.

Last night after we finished playing cards with her parents, I took my wife over to the Zellers/Loblaws parking lot in Bells Corners and showed her how to capture munzees.  

14 captures later, including a FTC for each of us, she was hooked. She's already picked out some spots to deploy and has come up with some really good names too :)
She now studies the munzee map like I do the Geocaching map.

One thing I learned....the GPS in my phone is crap compared to the one in my wife's cheaper but never newer phone ???
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 20:13:42 by BlackRose67 »