Author Topic: Munzee with ipod touch  (Read 6196 times)

fradjoh

Munzee with ipod touch
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:50 »
Hi,

I wanna try munzees but I do not have a smartphone.  All I have is an ipod touch (which has a camera).  Would that work?

Thanks.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Munzee with ipod touch
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 20:11:51 »
Well, there is a way to get the app installed on the iPod touch and iPad, but apparently there is an issue with the app being hard-coded with a dependency on the 3G network.   At least, that's what their official stance is, until they release the app officially for non-phone devices.

That said, you got me curious about it, so I went searching.  Sure enough, the geeks out there figured out a way to get the app installed onto you iPad/iPod touch.  Here is the link to a video that shows how to get the app installed, WITHOUT any jail-breaking of your device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-szBruv5JZY

I just tried it on my iPad 2 and it worked fine.  I have not tested it in the real world yet, but I did successfully scan a locationless Munzee with it and that worked fine.

My guess it, if you don't have a Wi-Fi connection in the real world at the time of the scan, you'll likely not get credit for the find as it cannot communicate with the site to log it and credit you the points.   Renders it useless for travelling, as it cannot "save up" your finds until you find a Wi-Fi hot spot, unlike the geocaching app.

If I get the chance, I'll try that with my iPad and slave it to my iPhone and see if at least the finds get registered on the iPad with only Wi-Fi available.

lacwitt

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:33:14 »
I know you are talking about devices on the iOS, which I don't have, but I did use my Android based smartphone to deploy a munzee, without data or wifi turned on.  It placed it into a queue and when I got home and turned on my wifi I was able to deploy it, and it appeared in the right location on the map.  I haven't tried capturing like this, but I would imagine it would work the same.  Again, I am using an android smart phone, so no idea how this compares to the iOS based products.

fradjoh

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 16:49:24 »
Thanks,.

I'm kinda busy right now, but I will try it and report back asap.

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:45:05 »
My guess it, if you don't have a Wi-Fi connection in the real world at the time of the scan, you'll likely not get credit for the find as it cannot communicate with the site to log it and credit you the points.   Renders it useless for travelling, as it cannot "save up" your finds until you find a Wi-Fi hot spot, unlike the geocaching app.

Doesn't that kill its practicality for any travelling? Everyone knows that 3G access on roaming networks is ridiculously expensive, so most people turn off 3G when travelling. Unless you buy a pay-as-you-go plan specific to the country you're staying in, you're not going to be able to find munzees while you travel.

fradjoh

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:23:15 »
UPDATE

I just installed the Munzee app on my ipod touch as described on the video.  No problems installing it.  Now the only thing left is to test it on the field.

Stay tuned...

graciious

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:53 »
It's a QR code, so couldn't you just photograph the code, go home and scan them from your computer screen to a device on a wifi network?  Seems reasonable to me...

fradjoh

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:05:08 »
That's what I was plannig to do.  However I still need to test it to see if this is how it works.
The app keeps telling me it can't find the GPS (the ipod touch doesn't have one), so maybe it's not possible.  We'll see...

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:47 »
It's a QR code, so couldn't you just photograph the code, go home and scan them from your computer screen to a device on a wifi network?  Seems reasonable to me...

That was initially my plan too, but the app needs to send some info from the QR code as well as the GPS coordinates in order to register the capture, so unless someone knows the magic formula to construct the URL query to do this, I guess we dinosaurs are out of the game!

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:45:39 »
... I guess we dinosaurs are out of the game!

And never mind if you're one of the poor unfortunate souls who has a Blackberry. They have told me point-blank that they have no plan to do anything on Blackberry. My considered opinion is that Munzees suck.  >:(

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:26 »

No, the 'capture' cannot happen without your smartphone confirming your location via the GPS. You can save the capture for later upload through a WiFi network rather than your 3G data plan, which is useful if you're traveling, but you must have captured the QR code at the proper co-ordinates or the capture is disallowed. Sorry, iPods etc without GPS functions are useless for Munzees.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:47 »
No, the 'capture' cannot happen without your smartphone confirming your location via the GPS. You can save the capture for later upload through a WiFi network rather than your 3G data plan, which is useful if you're traveling

Ah, I see, that's better. I thought it had to be a real-time connection.

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:55:54 »
I made my first captures today, using an iPad3 with no access to cellular phone network.  It was a multi-stage process.  Before arriving on site, I must determine where I'll find the munzee.  On site, the capture function on the iOS munzee ap placed the image in a queue for later consideration.  When my iPad3 eventually found a wi-fi connection, the ap and the queue took care of my official capture records.