Author Topic: GC25CDQ Our Jewel - Mud Lake, cache removed?  (Read 6440 times)

maddy82

GC25CDQ Our Jewel - Mud Lake, cache removed?
« on: September 12, 2010, 15:08:12 »
I was caching around mud lake today and went to find GC25CDQ Our Jewel - Mud Lake.
Instead of finding the cache I found a sign tied to the tree. The sign is an 8.5"X11" laminated sheet of paper that says " Geocache has been removed. Take note that all subsequent geocaches placed in this general area will be promptly found and removed."
Not sure who took the cache or put the sign on the tree.

graciious

Re: GC25CDQ Our Jewel - Mud Lake, cache removed?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 16:02:50 »
Our friend is back then... how wonderful!  ::)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 16:11:05 »
PMO caches could help pinpoint which user (if a user) is removing the caches in this area. Although... It's easy to open another account if the user's identity gets disclosed.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 18:09:00 »
The New York cache thief was taken to court over removing caches.  It did not go in his favour. 

This person did the same thing years ago within that region of the city putting up signs.  If there is contact info in the cache they never bothered to follow through on contacting the OWNER regarding this matter, they just removed the cache. I don't think we found out who it was then it just stopped. 

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 18:21:28 »
Disappointing to hear that this is still happening.  We have several caches in the area that apparently have not been affected, which seems to indicate that the perpetrator may not be using the geocaching.com website to locate the caches.  Nevertheless, we have changed our only traditional cache in the area to PMO, to provide a bit of additional protection... we'll see how it goes.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 18:33:49 »
Nevertheless, we have changed our only traditional cache in the area to PMO, to provide a bit of additional protection... we'll see how it goes.

If one of your cache disappear, use the data you collected with great care (keep it private and only share with reviewers).

PhotoCrasher

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 20:50:09 »
Sounds like we need to place a new cache in the area then plan a stakeout  ;)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:48:55 »
This is something that happened a year to two ago to several of the 'Yesteryear" caches by SuperDaveGPS. I doubt if it's a geocacher, but clearly a birder or dogwalker feels ownership of the area and disapproves of geocaches. Unless they contact the cache owner we'll never know the motivation. Judging by the enormous laminated signs they leave behind it's not the trash-in-the-woods they object to.

If it was one of my caches I would immediately remove the sign, and replace the cache. I have an endless supply of 35mm film cans.... but that's just me. You know how much I appreciate it when people take it upon themselves to tell me how to behave.... ::)

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

narcissa

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 15:51:39 »
If it was one of my caches I would immediately remove the sign, and replace the cache. I have an endless supply of 35mm film cans.... but that's just me. You know how much I appreciate it when people take it upon themselves to tell me how to behave.... ::)

I agree with this - provided that as a cache owner, you're absolutely certain that you have permission to place the cache there in the first place.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 17:15:28 »
Wouldn't a good test to be to make the cache a premium cache?  Yes, there would be a certain number of cachers that would no longer see the cache but it would tell you if the geocaching site is being used to find it.

You could also change the cache to a micro in the tree.  Those can be hard for even experienced cachers to find.  :)

The_BOD

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 07:46:09 »
Any hunter have a spare Deer Cam ?     click ... surprise...

missbug

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 08:26:43 »
our experiment is working!!!!

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:24:02 »
I agree with this - provided that as a cache owner, you're absolutely certain that you have permission to place the cache there in the first place.

Who 'owns' Mud Lake? NCC? I see many NCC dog walking signs at the trailheads. Is Mud Lake mentioned in one of their 'Conservation Plans'? Not that I'm aware. Is there any restrictions on public access to Mud Lake? Again, not that I am aware. If I can walk my dog, watch birds, walk the trails and picnic at Mud Lake can I not place a geocache? Who owns Mud Lake? I do, I'm the taxpayer/public. I'm willing to share it with the birders, cyclists, and dog walkers because I'm a nice guy.  ;D

Do we ask the NCC and the City of Ottawa to publish 'guidelines' for geocaching in every greenspace in the region? I can see the City's Bylaw committee debating the merits of caches and their locations. Submissions being made, for and against. Does that sound like a road we want to go down?

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 11:12:47 »
i would like to see some contact information for the apparent coward who is taking away our caches and putting up signs so that we may discuss the matter!

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:39:53 »
This kind of situation has arisen before. Some local will take 'ownership' of an area, it's 'their park' or 'their trail', and starts deciding what is and what is not allowed in 'their' fiefdom. Usually it's not worth arguing with them because they'll just keep stealing the caches anyway.

We can try to reach out to this vigilante with messages in the caches we replace, but these people rarely deign to talk to you, they've decided what's allowed - end of discussion.

They often have a lot of time on their hands too, so they can outlast you if you try to buck them.

Good luck everyone, keep up the good fight.

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça