Author Topic: GC25CDQ Our Jewel - Mud Lake, cache removed?  (Read 5887 times)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Re: GC25CDQ Our Jewel - Mud Lake, cache removed?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 13:04:42 »
If in the past the signs were just left within mud lake park then maybe it was a land issue, but the signs were left with in that area of the west end, not just within that park.  I don't think it is a 'this is my land issue' but someone who has a different issue.  I do find odd they do not contact the cache owners ( I assume contact info in the container), post on line, find us, but rather LAMINATE a sign and leave that in the woods.  I think they have found them by chance (odd I know)

Once when finding a geocache in the mud lake are I came across a paper with something like, meet at 6pm 3rd lamp post upper Carlingwood car park in what I thought was a kids hand writting, so who knows.

Maybe it is a drug dealer who wants the geocaching gang off his turf?  :P

I wonder if this person is even aware of what geocaching is, or just finds and lumps it in to the BAD activity group like gangs and drugs.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 13:51:23 »
True, past instances of this weren't only in  the Mud Lake area, but in the Britannia Beach area too.
I think we're dealing with an overly excited 'neighbourhood watch' type safeguarding their turf from bad influences... The Ritchie Street area has been in the news enough this summer!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

JSDAFM

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 17:16:00 »
our experiment is working!!!!

I'm curious..

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 17:55:38 »
our experiment is working!!!!

I'm curious..

They planted a cache with a SPOT in it. They'll follow the thief to his/her home.

missbug

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:51 »
 :D hahahaha!

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 14:31:33 »
So will the cache co-ords be updated when it stops moving?   ;D

graciious

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 17:49:57 »
Yes and then we'll plan a real MOB event...  ;D

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 19:50:34 »
So, should we be making a effort to do the Mud Lake caches?  Or should we keep clear for a while (not that we want them to bully us out of there).

I'm off on Friday and plan on spending part of the day caching once I drop the kids off at school ( both kids in school all day this year  ;D ). 
I only have one of the caches in the area so I don't mind caching there if we want to assert our presence.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 21:06:56 »
Do them, no rush.  you just know you may find a sign instead of a cache.  At least you will not waste your time searching

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:43 »
I only have one of the caches in the area so I don't mind caching there if we want to assert our presence.

I would recommend doing them, and bringing along a 35mm micro cache or two. Find a laminated sign - remove it and replace the cache, then inform the cache owner. Let's see how patient this vigilante is....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:01 »

I would recommend doing them, and bringing along a 35mm micro cache or two. Find a laminated sign - remove it and replace the cache, then inform the cache owner. Let's see how patient this vigilante is....

Blue -

And then the person will start removing all the caches in town... Wasn't there a discussion about this on the old forum? I thought it was mentionned we shouldn't do that (replacing the caches over and over, or placing hundreds of micros in the area). If I remember correctly, the best course of action was to let time pass and things would settle. A few caches were placed a while ago and it just started to happen again.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 13:20:47 »
And then the person will start removing all the caches in town... Wasn't there a discussion about this on the old forum? I thought it was mentionned we shouldn't do that (replacing the caches over and over, or placing hundreds of micros in the area). If I remember correctly, the best course of action was to let time pass and things would settle. A few caches were placed a while ago and it just started to happen again.

The person will start removing all the 2000 caches in town?  That doesn't seem like a likely outcome to me  ::).

First, that would be a full time job for months (at least).  Second, if the imbecile doing this increases his range, he'll also increase the odds of getting caught in the act. 

Anyway, there seems to be greater odds that letting him "win" in one area would encourage him to use the same tactics in other areas.  Better to show him that what he's doing is pointless and a waste of time.  Or all go spend more time in that park to catch him in the act.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 17:39:27 »

and bringing along a 35mm micro cache or two.

Sorry, not quite my generation.  Don't have piles of 35mm containers around.  ;D   Can I leave a bunch of SD card cases instead? :P

I do have a few bison tubes if any replacements are required.

I'll probably go tomorrow morning around 10am, get a few caches and see if anyone is paying attention.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 19:02:35 »
35mm film cans can be picked up at any Walmart Photoshop if you ask politely for their discards.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 19:12:16 »
I do have a few bison tubes if any replacements are required.

Don't waste perfectly good bison tubes on this, when as Model12 said, 35mm film cans can be had by the box-load if you ask nicely.  Any big store with a photolab has these lying around in piles.  Wal-Mart or a big Loblaws (or Superstore) is your best bet.