Author Topic: Proximity Circles when paperless caching?  (Read 4686 times)

BrianWastle

Proximity Circles when paperless caching?
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:48:51 »
With the apparent loss of "proximity circles" when Garmin dumped the wonderful map60 and replaced it with the (expletives omitted) map62, I'm wondering how folks do this task in the field.  Sagelily's still-tickin' Etrex Legend HCx remains our only resource for this very useful feature.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Proximity Circles when paperless caching?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:16 »
With the newer units you need to convert the geocaches to waypoints and then edit the waypoint to turn on the circles.

I have an eTrex 20 and with it's small screen, as soon as you zoom in and the centre of the waypoint disappears off the screen, so does the circle.

For that reason, I tend to use GCC on my Android phone for in-field tasks like this.

BrianWastle

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:42:39 »
Thanks for the speedy reply, BlackRose.  I tried the "waypoint" approach on my map62 and was still only able to set a "proximity alarm," rather than create a visible circle.  Haven't yet moved to the eTrex20, but likely will do so when my 62 dies.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:08:14 »
Take a look at this post and see if your 62 has something similar.

http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1105.msg10476#msg10476

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:22:03 »
*note to self: take really good care of my 60csx*

BrianWastle

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 13:21:09 »
Thanks again, BlackRose.  Bluelamb's approach is the method I've tried on the map62, and all you get is the alarm - no yellow (nor any coloured) circle.  Alas.
Yep - hold onto that map60 for all you're worth greyingjay! 

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 17:47:35 »
Have a look at my (now really old) thread regarding this and other issues. 

http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=30.msg748#msg748

BrianWastle

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 20:02:04 »
Many thanks, kirok.  I read your thread with great interest.  However, I still remain baffled as to how you were able to get even poor quality proximity circles on your 62 - all I can get is "alarms" at the prescribed radius - no images of circles nor intersections with other proximity circles that are clearly shown on the old eTrex Legends.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 20:44:00 »
I'm not sure why it's not working for you.  All I do is "find" a waypoint, Select Menu-> Edit Waypoint -> Set Proximity and enter the circle diameter.  From then on, I get a circle of the appropriate size on my map, for every waypoint that has a proximity.  I checked it again just now to be sure that the "feature" was not removed in the latest firmware, but it's still there.  Here's a screen grab of two random waypoints I just dropped:

As before, as soon as I zoom in any closer than 30 meters, the circles vanish from the map.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 21:00:45 by kirok »

BrianWastle

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:03 »
Nope - still no circles.  I can change the units of the proximity setting, but cannot find any other settings to set that might have something to do with making the circles visible.  Cannot see any circles via Basecamp when I connect my map62.  Strange.

Lemmy Caution

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 12:12:08 »
More MAP62 strangeness...

I have the st flavor. When using proximity circles, the distance is only in imperial units, regardless of the units selected in the unit setup.  Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

fradjoh

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 14:31:32 »
I cannot garantee the result since I don't have that unit, but I would try webupdater.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 16:23:49 »
More MAP62 strangeness...

I have the st flavor. When using proximity circles, the distance is only in imperial units, regardless of the units selected in the unit setup.  Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Yup!  I asked the same question to Garmin in 2010 when I first got the units.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?10777-62s-Proximity-using-incorrect-units

BrianWastle

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 16:57:01 »
The map62st strangeness continues ... mine does in fact set the proximity alarms in meters once I've set it for that, but still shows no circles.  No idea why Lemmy Caution's version of this beast-from-hell shows circles, but only measures in imperial units.

Lemmy Caution

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 13:39:48 »
I'm wondering if updating the firmware would help get your proximity circles working.  I got my unit about 2 years ago, first thing I did was update the firmware and haven't had any problems with it (aside from some several features that are more annoying than helpful (such as separate unit setups)).