Author Topic: Proximity Circles when paperless caching?  (Read 4332 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Proximity Circles when paperless caching?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 15:42:11 »
Just a thought.

User preferences can let you select the way some items are displayed, for example on my MAP60Cx I can choose how to display the track I leave behind, colour as well as thickness of the line.

Is it possible the setting is to a very difficult to see or a 'don't display' option? It reduces the clutter tremendously if the alarm is still available but the circles are not displayed.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BrianWastle

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 16:00:41 »
Many thanks for these last two suggestions - I'll check 'em both out.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:50 »
Poor Brian.

You just hit an issue on the 62. Try to set a proximity alarm for 30 meters and zoom in/out. You will see a faint orange line (default color, I believe) at some point.

To set a proximity:

- hit the "Mark" button (or select a geocache and save it as a waypoint)
- when looking at the details of the waypoint, hit "Menu"
- select "Set Proximity" and press "Enter"
- enter the radius, select "Done" and press "Enter"
- select "Map" and press "Enter"
- zoom in/out to see the line (depending on your scale and the size of the circle)

To change the units of the proximity circle:

- hit "Menu"
- select "Proximity Alarms" and press "Enter"
- hit "Menu"
- select "Change Units" and press "Enter"
- select the desired unit and press "Enter"

You're done. I'm not sure there's a way to change the color of the circle.

As soon as the center of your circle disappears from the screen when you move the cursor around (well, I believe the rule is something like 20% of gap between the center of the circle and the border of the screen), the circle will vanish. This is a known problem and I opened a ticket with Garmin a while ago for this very problem. They tried to evade the question through all means (telling me it was a feature request, not a bug). After carefully crafting my question (I said I should see the circle on the screen when approaching a waypoint with an alarm set, otherwise I would hear the beep before seeing it on the screen and it would be too late), they agreed it's a functionality loss from the 60.

At the moment, proximity circles are almost of no use on the 62, except if your circles are really small and close of each other. Garmin says this function is not to be used to find the intersection of circles... Sigh.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 12:07:57 »
At the moment, proximity circles are almost of no use on the 62, except if your circles are really small and close of each other. Garmin says this function is not to be used to find the intersection of circles... Sigh.
Seems to be the norm for all of the newer paperless units from Garmin.

Last weekend I found Walking in Circles, but I didn't use my GPS to find the intersection of circles...I used an app on my smartphone, which really defeats the spirit of that cache and others like it.

Reading the logs for that cache, it seems everyone using the newer Garmin units had to resort to some other means to find the intersection of circles.
I know myself I've used the app on my phone, as well as BaseCamp/MapSource to solve proximity and intersection based caches.

BrianWastle

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 15:32:13 »
Many thanks to cron and Blackrose07 for what is likely the definitive end of this forum hunt for answers.  Thanks to all who contributed.  For now, I'll be sticking close to sagelily and her eTrex HCx for any proximity circle intersection needs.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 16:58:06 »
I haven't figured it out with the 550 either. That's why the 60cx & I are still the best of friends  ;)

GreyingJay

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 20:32:22 »
Note to self: opportunity to become mildly rich by developing a proximity circle iPhone app...

Sens-eh

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 13:07:36 »
Note to self: opportunity to become mildly rich by developing a proximity circle iPhone app...

Already exists. iGCT. Geocaching Toolkit.  Free iPhone app that is pretty much a must have on your iPhone. So I guess the developer screwed up on the getting mildly rich part of the plan.

I do think I have a werigo cartridge on my Oregon 550 that I can also use to do them ( i have a "utilities cartridge that is for a geocache in Sweden or something, but can be used as a calculator for a bunch of different things) but I never bother since it is effortless on the iPhone. I don't remember the details of what features the werigo cartridge provides off the top of my head - not that it would help 60 or 62 users anyhow...