Author Topic: GSAK in Surface Pro?  (Read 4229 times)

Marc (scout_toujours)

GSAK in Surface Pro?
« on: March 07, 2013, 23:12:37 »
Anyone try running GSAK in a Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro? Or know if it will run on the Pro version of the tablet? I already know it won't run on the RT version....

GreyingJay

Re: GSAK in Surface Pro?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:26:45 »
I haven't tried it, but since Surface Pro is a full x86 Windows machine, it should work. You'll need the touch or type cover of course so you can navigate GSAK mouse-and-keyboard-style.

As long as you're shopping for portable, tablet-like, touch-screen, full Windows PCs, you might also check into the competition:

HP Envy x2
Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T and Pro 700T
Acer Iconia W510/700
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2
Asus VivoTab

And touch-enabled Windows 8 laptops that also have a "tablet mode" of some form or other:
Dell Latitude XPS 12
Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 (not Yoga 11)
Sony VAIO Duo 11

All of those run full Windows 8 (not RT), but some trade off lower processing power (Atom Z2760) for longer battery life (up to 16 hours on some of those!) The more powerful Core i5 machines can only offer 5-7 hours typically.

And yes, I'm in the market for one too :)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:29:13 by GreyingJay »

Marc (scout_toujours)

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:26:30 »
Thanks for the info! I've been shopping for a little bit, so far i'm leaning towards processor over battery life.... :)

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 16:56:58 »
I haven't tried it, but since Surface Pro is a full x86 Windows machine, it should work. You'll need the touch or type cover of course so you can navigate GSAK mouse-and-keyboard-style.

As long as you're shopping for portable, tablet-like, touch-screen, full Windows PCs, you might also check into the competition:

HP Envy x2
Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T and Pro 700T
Acer Iconia W510/700
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2
Asus VivoTab

And touch-enabled Windows 8 laptops that also have a "tablet mode" of some form or other:
Dell Latitude XPS 12
Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 (not Yoga 11)
Sony VAIO Duo 11

All of those run full Windows 8 (not RT), but some trade off lower processing power (Atom Z2760) for longer battery life (up to 16 hours on some of those!) The more powerful Core i5 machines can only offer 5-7 hours typically.

And yes, I'm in the market for one too :)

So with the above choices what would you lean towards Jay?

I am looking for something smaller than a laptop but I still want to run GSAK and possibly Streets and Trips.  This would be used on the road with a GPS antenna and Streets and Trips to see caches ahead  for a bigger picture and logging caches later.

The only thing I hate is the glare you get with most screens.

Binrat

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:47:17 »
It's a tough choice (which is why I don't own anything yet).

There are two general categories: a tablet that's actually as powerful as a laptop, or a laptop that can also be used as a tablet. Neither is truly a jack-of-all-trades so you have to choose which you want.

If I was buying today:

If I wanted a powerful tablet: I'd probably choose Surface Pro (with Type Cover) or Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2. These are light and powerful tablets with good keyboards for "laptop mode", but both could be difficult to actually use on your lap without feeling awkward, and have only one viewing angle when set up in their respective stands.

If I wanted a laptop that can also be used as a tablet: Dell Latitude XPS 12 or Lenovo Yoga 13. These are both full laptops that can be folded up and carried like a tablet, but they are at least twice as heavy as say an iPad.

If I just wanted a thin and portable laptop and didn't need the touchscreen: MacBook Air (and dual-boot Windows on it).

If you don't need something "today", I'd wait a bit. In June, Intel is going to release the next-generation "Haswell" platform which will mean better performance and battery life, but it will be well into summer before we start seeing products that use it. If you can wait that long, I would recommend it.

Two products that have not yet been released that I am keeping my eye on: Lenovo Thinkpad Helix and Ideapad Yoga 11S (basically a smaller version of the Yoga 13).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:50:35 by GreyingJay »

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 17:08:17 »
I like the Lenovo and good battery life.

The HP comes with 2 batteries...

Found this as well, might make me choose sooner.  http://www.gcexplorer.com/

Binrat

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 22:59:15 »
Ooh, that's pretty slick looking!

Oh, the other thing that's stopping me from buying: these darned Canadian keyboard layouts. Have you noticed that laptops purchased in Canada have all those annoying French accent keys? I'd want to ensure I got a US layout (Macs all do). That's just personal preference. Nothing against French people, but I rarely type out accent symbols and I don't like the funny size Enter and right Shift keys in order to accommodate keys that I will personally never use.