Author Topic: Oregon 450 USB cable issues.  (Read 1831 times)

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
Oregon 450 USB cable issues.
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:33:12 »
After looking at Kirok's Map62 (Thanks Kirok) during the last monthly meeting, I decided to go ahead and start using the Oregon 450 I recently picked up.  I don't like the "iphone/touchscreen look" of either device, but I can't justify an extra $100)  I'm having PC connection issues with it, and it may be going back. I can't load a loc or GPX file into it from Easy GPS, I have a couple of questions to confirm if its me or the unit that has the problems.

1) When I plug the USB cable in, it immediately goes to USB storage mode.  (whether the unit was on or off).  Is there a way to not get it to go to USB storage mode?  EasyGPS requires the GPS not to be in USB storage mode.

Or am I supposed to simply copy the GPX file into the GPSr's USB Storage Directory, and not require easyGPS?

2) I'm having issues with the USB cable.  When I pull out the cable, it either powers down immediately or beeps and gives me the option to stay on, but then the button does not work.  Does anyone else have/seen this issue? This is the dealbreaker for me, and the unit will be going back.  I'm asking this question because if it is not normal behaviour, then I will exchange it and chalk it up to a defective unit.

3) Where is the Satellite screen?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Oregon 450 USB cable issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:03 »
It is working properly. I don't have time to fully explain right now, but will write a response later today OK, unless someone else bats me to it.

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:40:29 »
What you describe pretty well matches the way my Map62 works, but I've never plugged the unit when it was already on.  Whenever I want to load a GPX file I open the Garmin folder and in there is a GPX folder.  I copy the GPX file in there, no software required.

Once I'm done I first disconnect the USB device from Windows then unplug the cable and the unit powers off.

On my unit the Satellite screen is accessible from the main menu; don't know about the Oregon.

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 19:28:47 »
Thanks royfran, I didn't realize the Map62 behaves the same way.  The map60 does not power down when you unplug it. Very handy for using it the car, without using up your battery.  You can keep backlight on without draining your battery. 

I thought it would behave like the Map60 where  If you want to access the USB storage as such, you have to select in in the menu. .

Portera, I can't wait to hear more.

Are you saying that when you unplug the unit, it supposed to power down? Is there a way to disable it?

What happens if I want to leave it powered up via the USB cable but still look at the interface, (like say after I download it from geocaching.com) or have it powered in the car.  I don't want to have to power cycle it when I leave the car to hunt the cache.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 19:32:33 by marvin_gardens »

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 20:18:14 »

1) When I plug the USB cable in, it immediately goes to USB storage mode.  (whether the unit was on or off).  Is there a way to not get it to go to USB storage mode?  EasyGPS requires the GPS not to be in USB storage mode.

2) I'm having issues with the USB cable.  When I pull out the cable, it either powers down immediately or beeps and gives me the option to stay on, but then the button does not work.  Does anyone else have/seen this issue? This is the dealbreaker for me, and the unit will be going back.  I'm asking this question because if it is not normal behaviour, then I will exchange it and chalk it up to a defective unit.

I just found the solution to 1/2 of my problems:  Select Garmin Spanner Mode:  Setup -> System -> Interface -> Spanner and ignore the rest of the options. 
Now when I plug in my USB cable, it asks if I want to go to USB Storage mode.:)  If I select yes, it goes into USB storage mode, but when I pull the cable out it shuts down.  :(
If I select no, it stays in GPS mode, and when I remove it, it asks if I want to stay on.  :)  In this mode it does not allow me to download cache info directly from gc.com. :(

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 20:43:40 »
The power off when removing the cable is a normal of all units of this type.  They put this "feature" into the firmware long ago after people were complaining that their units were hanging after file transfers, or new information was not showing up.  What happens now is they force the shutdown, so that upon next power-up, the unit goes through the filesystem and re-indexes any GPX files, track logs, etc.. (sometimes takes quite a while if you have a lot of caches in there).  It only happens the first time you power it on after you've changed something.  You can turn it off and on a bunch of times, including changing batteries, without the indexing reoccuring.

I've learned to live with it, as being a computer guy I know that it takes a little while to index all that data.  The added bonus of all this, is that once the files are indexed, you can do all kinds of stuff with it on your unit.  You can filter caches based on type, terrain, difficulty, DNFs, etc...  You can read cache pages on the unit, read logs, look at pictures, etc...

Do I still prefer my 60, yes, but I've learned to like the features of the 62 and use it for regular day-to-day caching.  The 60 comes out during special occasions like the Rockumulus adventure from a few weeks ago.  Cache page data and filtering were not a priority on those, we needed the ease of projections and proximity circles.  Sadly, the 62 / Oregon series just can't measure up in that department.

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 20:58:50 »
*headdesk*

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:52 »
After looking at Kirok's Map62 (Thanks Kirok) during the last monthly meeting, I decided to go ahead and start using the Oregon 450 I recently picked up.  I don't like the "iphone/touchscreen look" of either device, but I can't justify an extra $100)  I'm having PC connection issues with it, and it may be going back. I can't load a loc or GPX file into it from Easy GPS, I have a couple of questions to confirm if its me or the unit that has the problems.

1) When I plug the USB cable in, it immediately goes to USB storage mode.  (whether the unit was on or off).  Is there a way to not get it to go to USB storage mode?  EasyGPS requires the GPS not to be in USB storage mode.

Or am I supposed to simply copy the GPX file into the GPSr's USB Storage Directory, and not require easyGPS?

2) I'm having issues with the USB cable.  When I pull out the cable, it either powers down immediately or beeps and gives me the option to stay on, but then the button does not work.  Does anyone else have/seen this issue? This is the dealbreaker for me, and the unit will be going back.  I'm asking this question because if it is not normal behaviour, then I will exchange it and chalk it up to a defective unit.

3) Where is the Satellite screen?

Alright, here we go:

1) I see you have discovered Garmin Spanner mode. There is a workaround for the vehicle that will cost you some money, but I have never deemed the expense worthwhile. An "official" garmin car charger is a modified USB that will not send the device into data mode, but will provide functioning power. Any other USB charger will cause the unit to go into data mode unless you have selected Spanner mode and then you get to decide if you want it to function as a GPS or a USB drive.

2) When you are in USB data mode and unplug the unit it will power down. If you are in GPS mode, it will ask you whether you want to shut down or keep running as a GPS. There is a 30 second timer that will count down and shut the unit down if you do not respond. I believe this is designed to save batteries.

3) The satellite screen can be reached by tapping on the middle bottom of the screen.

As for loading data to the unit, the paperless geocaching uses native GPX files that can be directly copied to the unit using any method, including just using Windows Explorer. I'm not an easyGPS user, so do not know what it is expecting. I am a GSAK user, and it does a very nice job of creating paperless caching GPX files. Regardless, you can just copy a GPX file to the Garmin>GPX folder. You can also create this directory structure on your SD card (if you have installed one) and put the GPX file there. This can be beneficial in the rare instance when the unit crashes.

The BEST manual for the unit is not from Garmin, but actually can be found at: Garmin Oregon Wiki. This should answer most of your questions.

I know people who love their 6x Gamins do not really like the Oregons, but I am really happy with mine. If you give it a chance and get used to it, I think you'll find that is a very good unit that is a great value for what you paid. (This was not sponsored by Garmin) :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:10:00 by portera »

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:42:48 »
Thanks Kirok and Portera for your comments.  Its always easier to accept something when you understand it, but not necessarily like it.

Like Kirok, I'll probably use the Oregon for day to day caching, and the MAP60 for puzzles.  I'll give it some time and see what happens.