Author Topic: ROVE: a new device for your GPS  (Read 2058 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
ROVE: a new device for your GPS
« on: March 21, 2013, 13:36:39 »
Here's an interesting (Canadian) device to augment your GPS.... http://www.gorove.com/

Not sure I would use it but it looks interesting.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
Re: ROVE: a new device for your GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 14:06:12 »
I'm low tech and this might be a dumb quesion.  I don't use a smart phone.  Can I assume that a product like this can only connect to groundspeak through a smart phone and/or available wi-fi (out in the middle of nowhere)?

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 14:25:53 »
Correct.

Coman123 said: ".... providing you have a comparable GPS and smart phone, you sync the Gorove to your phone via ,blue tooth, then plug it into your GPS, it auto searches your location and pushes the closest 25 caches to your GPS, with in a 50km radius...."

You could do the same thing by just using the phone/app for the hunt, or manually entering the co-ordinates into your GPS after looking them up on the phone/app.

I was curious about the 'trail sharing' feature.

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:24:48 »
I would love for the ability to have Geocaching apps and/or GPS units talk to each other on different devices.

Some GPS units have (had?) the ability to beam coordinates to each other. Imagine how useful that could be when caching with a friend (or two or ten). Beam the coordinates to everyone in the group and away we all go, rather than wait for everyone to hunt and peck coordinates or look it up on their own devices.

Or individuals who cache with multiple units (like, say, I dunno, a 60csx and an Oregon ;) ) might like the ability to sync or send coordinates from one unit to the other. Do your proximity circles on one device, beam the info to the other.

Or integration with your car. You can get big touch-screen car navigation units now, wouldn't it be great if you could search for nearby cache icons on your car nav system, drive to the nearest parking, then turn on your handheld and continue the search as you step out of the car?

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:25:41 »

Or individuals who cache with multiple units (like, say, I dunno, a 60csx and an Oregon ;) )
Hey!  8)  It's a 60cx.

might like the ability to sync or send coordinates from one unit to the other. Do your proximity circles on one device, beam the info to the other.
I'd just like one unit to do it all

Or integration with your car. You can get big touch-screen car navigation units now, wouldn't it be great if you could search for nearby cache icons on your car nav system, drive to the nearest parking, then turn on your handheld and continue the search as you step out of the car?
Its sounds like it would take some effort to keep both units up to date though.  I am doing that that with my handheld GPS now - navigation and caching.  The only frustrating part is plugging and unplugging the unit to conserve the battery (I like to have the backlight on when in the car).  If Garmin didn't have their head up... they should have made the GPS unit with metal contacts on the base, so that the power cord could stay plugged on the cradle and it could run off the car charger when its sitting in the cradle, instead of having to unplug it when you want to remove it from the dash. (I'm talking both automotive and handheld GPSs here)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 13:04:23 »

... they should have made the GPS unit with metal contacts on the base, so that the power cord could stay plugged on the cradle and it could run off the car charger when its sitting in the cradle, instead of having to unplug it when you want to remove it from the dash.

The Montana does just that! It's the bastard child of an Oregon handheld and a NUVI automotive GPS....

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 13:47:50 »
The Montana does just that! It's the bastard child of an Oregon handheld and a NUVI automotive GPS....

I'm interested in the Montana for this reason, I like how Mr. Packrat seems to be able to hook it onto his windshield, drive to the cache parking, then carry it out to find the cache.

But your horror stories about the resets and crashes have me worried.

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 15:08:05 »

... they should have made the GPS unit with metal contacts on the base, so that the power cord could stay plugged on the cradle and it could run off the car charger when its sitting in the cradle, instead of having to unplug it when you want to remove it from the dash.

Blue -

Hmm, then I retract part of my statement.  I find the Oregon to be somewhat like the Nuvi in terms of look and feel.  Just ALOT smaller and fatter.