Author Topic: April CCC Workshop - Bomb Scares & Geocaching - Guest Speaker  (Read 2318 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Join local cachers at the CCC 'Let's Talk Geocaching' Workshop

Next meeting: Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dovercourt Recreation Centre
411 Dovercourt Ave.
Upstairs lobby area

7pm

This month's workshop topic:

Bomb Scares & Geocaching. Proper cache containers and placement. Questions and Answers.

Join us for a presentation by Guest Speaker Imre Rohoncz of the Ottawa Police Services.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

Re: April CCC Workshop - Bomb Scares & Geocaching - Guest Speaker
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:49:49 »
This one should be a blast!  ;D

geonerding

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:38 »
I've been meaning to ask this question for awhile but haven't found the time to write it down. I usually work in the week at night and haven't been able to actually attend a workshop whereas the other half of geonerding has attended a few but never mentioned if there's any digital copies of the workshops online or if there's any way that someone in the group could record the workshops incase others who aren't able to attend them can still gain the valuable information that's given at these events.

As for said workshop on the 11th If I'm able to make it out with work being slow this month I'll do my best to make it out.

Jason

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 22:45:33 »
The workshops have typically been very informal and conversational in the past. We've never thought of recording the sessions, but that's a neat idea.

MadameBibitte

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:18:27 »
On a not-really-related note, if anybody has TBs that need to go east... In May I'll be visiting NB and then relocating overseas until Christmas.  I'd be happy to add a few thousand km to your trackables and then release them on the coast or in Switzerland / France.  This is probably one of the last CCC events I'll have time to attend before I leave, so just look for the MadameBibitte nametag at the workshop.

Starkiller

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:52:58 »
The workshops have typically been very informal and conversational in the past. We've never thought of recording the sessions, but that's a neat idea.

I am in favour of you recording the workshop... At least this one, with the guest speaker and all. It sounds really interesting, but I can't make that meeting. Recording it would make a great resource in the future when new cachers are learning to place geocaches.

Technologically, it should be pretty easy... At least half of the people attending the workshop have smartphones with a decent camera on it, just upload to youtube and post the clip! Any volunteers?

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:30:40 »
Anyone looking for video of geocaching topics already has a wealth of information on the web.

A google search of your topic should turn up lots of hits.

Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:37:33 »
I'm willing to give it a shot. No guarantees that I can compress it into something of a watchable length, but I can try :)

RBFJGeoFam

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 13:37:02 »
One thing you may want to check prior to planning to record is if the officer presenting has permission to be recorded and posted on the web...that usually needs approval of the OPS media team, and he will need a legal release, I would expect...

GreyingJay

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 14:36:33 »
Ooh. Fair enough.

Can whoever booked him ask if recording is possible? If not then I won't bother.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 18:58:22 »
One thing you may want to check prior to planning to record is if the officer presenting has permission to be recorded and posted on the web...that usually needs approval of the OPS media team, and he will need a legal release, I would expect...

Agreed.  It's one thing to ask them to make an informal presentation at a local community center, it is a whole other to be recorded and distributed.  I would believe there is a certain level of expectation that they are approaching this in a "consulting" type role, and the WE, the community, would disseminate this knowledge amongst ourselves.

I'm sure someone could simply AUDIO record the session (and maybe the odd snap if there are slides) and make summary notes, then publish them here on the forums.   That would be sufficient for any future presentations.  

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 20:24:19 »
I would treat this situation just like any other public performance. Absolutely no taping unless express written permission is given.

Plus, you would need to get permission from all the attendees who appear on the video, lest some of them object to being put on the web.

A can of worms I have no intention of opening...

Steve

- Dr. Seuss

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 11:29:10 »
I was hoping to bring one of my live caches (camo'd soda preform) but it grew legs and disappeared over the winter.

I'm not making another one to replace it, but will bring along an uncamouflaged preform.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 11:05:42 »
After action report:

A good turn out last night. Constable Serge Clement of the Ottawa Police Service gave a very succinct presentation, the bomb squad's procedures and policies.

Nothing really new for those that have been around for a while. The take away message was:

1. Careful where you place a cache. A acceptable cache in a woodlot can be unacceptable beside a government office building or a bank.
2. Label your cache clearly. If it says geocaching clearly on the container it removes a lot of suspicion.
3. Clear containers, or clear 'windows' in the containers can allow the first officers on the scene to see that the contents are innocuous.

When I was finding caches in England in 2004 I was constantly finding geocaches labeled "Geocache Contents Harmless". I thought it odd at first, but this was not too long after an IRA bombing campaign in England. I hope we never have to deal with that kind of situation....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 12:17:58 »
2. Label your cache clearly. If it says geocaching clearly on the container it removes a lot of suspicion.

I would add the following:

Label the outside of the container clearly, e.g. "OFFFICIAL GEOCACHE DO NOT REMOVE"

Label the inside (log book, etc.) with the Geocaching note, the cache name and/or GC number, as well as contact information of the cache owner. That way if the police do need to open the container they can see who to contact and/or where to look up the info on the geocaching website.

If hiding an ammo box, file away or paint over the military markings.