Author Topic: Puzzle help!!  (Read 2273 times)

RBFJGeoFam

Puzzle help!!
« on: April 01, 2013, 18:52:06 »
I spent a while today and last night trying to solve some puzzle caches, but with every one, the GeoChecker said I was wrong...

I have tried "Exact Change Only (GC435TD)", "ALFIE! ALFIE! ALFIE! (GC3KCTJ)", "Carp River Crossing (GC3ABF0)" and "BEA POTTER'S PRECIOUS ONES (GC31A0Y)", and I cannot solve any...what am I doing wrong???

If anyone owns these and cares to help me out, it would be appreciated! I have done all of the research for them, have all of the answers...but apparently, my calculations are mistaken, and I don't know why  ???

From what I remember on digital roots, a number's digital root is, as an example:

38921=3+8+9+2+1=23=2+3=5

For letters, a=1, b=2, c=3, etc, and so on...but the final result is found the same way...

Is there a trick to it in Ottawa?  Or have I just gotten that rusty??

...frustration setting in as I think I perhaps should revert to writing and editing this week instead of caching!!

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Puzzle help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 19:13:44 »
Hey, one of those are mine!  PM me and I can guide you though.  There is a thread in this forum on puzzles (Puzzles 101 I think).  Sometime it just takes attempting them, and them leaving them for a while, and then several days later, it may come to you right away.  A lot of owners are willing to help, as are other cachers.

RBFJGeoFam

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 19:54:26 »
I have not figured out how to message other users yet...but my email is on my page...and skype is the same as my user name.

Thanks!!

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 20:18:48 »
PM sent.  click on "MY MESSAGES" in the blue bar above.

fradjoh

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:00:51 »
Here's a tool to help with digital roots.

GreyingJay

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:35:39 »
I like to use Thonky's digital root calculator:

http://thonky.com/digital-root-calculator/

Maybe the first step is to double check your calculations (especially on DRs of words) to make sure they match what the online calculators say.

Maybe it's also just a case of a little bad luck. Some of the DR puzzles are notoriously tricky because some answers can be a little ambiguous. Exact Change Only, for example, apparently there's more than one possible solution.

RBFJGeoFam, you already have my email address, please feel free to ask if you have trouble. Also, you might be aware of our monthly "Meet and Eat" and "Workshop" meetings. These are pretty informal and conversational gatherings and a good place to catch up on the latest geocaching gossip, which usually means picking up hints about puzzles and nasty hides :) It's often a good place to say "Hey, I've been working on ___, am I on the right track?"

RBFJGeoFam

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:55:15 »
I, too, use Thonky, but I guess I am old-school...I figure it out on paper, then check it...so far, I have had no issues with the calculations...as far as Thonky confirming.  My issue is more of being anal-retentive on the answer...and the ambiguity of a lot of the puzzles.
I figured out Exact Change just as I was offered assistance...it is on my afternoon's agenda now!

As for the meets, I would have to do the Thursday night workshops alone, as my spouse has commitments, and the last Tuesday of the month is so far away!   If I attend the bomb-scare wrapping meet, is there opportunity after the presentation for discussion?  I assumed it was planned to just be the presentation from the officer, and having a spouse who worked with police for years, as well as volunteering with them, I figured I'd skip that presentation and wait for May's.  I have convinced my husband to join me on the Saturday morning breakfast once in a while though...:)

Thanks for the offer of help...it is greatly appreciated, because I simply don't know what I am doing wrong that the checkers dislike...

GreyingJay

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 14:07:01 »
If I attend the bomb-scare wrapping meet, is there opportunity after the presentation for discussion?

Certainly. The event officially starts at 7pm but a lot of us arrive a bit earlier and chat. There are also often a few folks who stick around after the main meeting to chat - sometimes to work on the latest tricky puzzle together, sometimes just to socialize. Two months ago I had a good conversation with a few other cachers about the etiquette and safety considerations of caching while on cruises. It was not a formal topic of discussion (though we made it into one at last month's meeting), just a subject that came up.

This month's workshop might be a little bit more rigidly structured since we have a guest speaker; usually it's more of an informal open forum where people are welcomed to introduce themselves to the group and/or ask questions and solicit answers and opinions from either the "subject matter expert" or any of the rest of us in the group. Admittedly the workshops I remember most vividly were the ones with a real "show and tell" element to it, including one last year where bluelamb03 brought a box of nitrile gloves and then handed out samples of poison ivy he picked from the trails!

RBFJGeoFam

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 13:40:38 »
Note to self: Invite Bluelamb on all bushwhacking expeditions...