Author Topic: Geocaching.Com Premium Membership Renewal  (Read 2358 times)

Green Frog

Geocaching.Com Premium Membership Renewal
« on: April 02, 2013, 18:10:47 »
Groundspeak's account management software is giving me a hard time.

My premium membership is expiring today, and I have been trying to get it renewed.  There is a place to click on the opening page, but when I click on it, it takes me through a few screens, and presents me with an error message page.

I found different ways to navigate to the renewal function, but they all ended up with the same error message page.

I did E-Mail them, last week, to enquire, and they suggested that I wait until today, expiry day.  I waited, and tried again twice today, with still the same routine with the same error page.

One would think that the last thing they would let go corrupt is the membership renewal routine.

Anyone else have a similar experience?  Does anyone know a work-around?

Thanks

Grump! Grump!
Green Frog

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
Re: Geocaching.Com Premium Membership Renewal
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 22:55:56 »
Mine expires on May 4th, but I plan on renewing it later this month, as I don't want to have to deal with membership renewal issues on a GAG weekend.

I looked on the GS forums and one fellow was having a problem renewing and as odd as it sounds, he bought himself a GIFT premium membership and it worked.

graciious

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:21:14 »
I'm going to do a great big pocket query and then not renew.  I figure I can try "free" mode for a bit.  I haven't been caching much lately so I am not sure it's worth it for me right now.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:44:05 »
I'm going to do a great big pocket query and then not renew.  I figure I can try "free" mode for a bit.  I haven't been caching much lately so I am not sure it's worth it for me right now.

If you're not caching actively then certainly a premium membership is not very useful, you can pick and choose which caches to download directly into the GPS, you can search for nearby caches, and you don't need any notifications cluttering your in-box.

Just a note: my automatic Premium membership renewal went through this morning without a hitch.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:18:12 »
If you use the Geocaching phone apps, you might not even need a premium membership.

I've been using the Geocaching iPhone app as my "daily driver" GPS for the past 2 years (basically since I got the iPhone). I rarely take out the Garmin GPS now. I can search for caches nearby, read the descriptions, hints, photos, search for them, even log them in the field once found. As a result, I rarely have need for pocket queries.

The only time I use pocket queries now is if I am planning a mass attack in an area that doesn't have good 3G reception, and/or if I know I am honing in on a specific set of caches (GAG, series caches in a given area).

I'm still a premium member, but not having it would only be a minor inconvenience given all that I can do using the app.

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 20:31:13 »

Green Frog

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 17:00:19 »
Thanks to everyone who replied.

My membership expired on 2 April and today is 4 April.

Amazingly, I am still getting membership goodies, or least the pocket query one (I didn't check the others), now, two days past the expiry date.  Looks like a good thing.

I am sure they will find the bug soon, and ask me to renew and pay, which I will certainly do.

I will post further developments on this thread.

Green Frog

Green Frog

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 15:53:59 »
I finally got my premium membership renewed!   :)

It technically expired on April 2, but I continued to have membership privileges thereafter.  That was quite fine, but it seemed unlikely to continue forever.

Yesterday they sent me an advisory that I should renew within seven days.  I tried again to renew, and again it dumped me to an error message.

This morning, I E-Mailed Groundspeak, to explain the problem again.  They sent me a nice message, saying they had just cancelled my premium membership by hand, and advising that I should try to set up a new premium membership in the usual way, by upgrading from basic to premium.

It didn't work!

Solution: BlackRose had done some research, and found that a GroundSpeak forum poster had gotten around my problem, by giving himself a gift membership.  That's what I did...... and now I have a renewed premium membership.  

Thanks again to everyone who posted to this thread.  Hope my experience helps others.

Green Frog
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 17:01:34 by Green Frog »

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 21:18:32 »
I'll be renewing mine this weekend, so I'll reply here with my results.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:11 »
I was able to renew my Premium Membership this morning without any issues.

I don't know if it matters, but I use Chrome as my web browser.

Green Frog

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 10:26:33 »
It is good that you got your Premium Membership updated easily.

I use Internet Explorer, not Chrome.  I don't know if that was part of my problem.  Groundspeak didn't point me to Chrome, in the renewal process, and they didn't mention it in their replies to my request for support.

Thanks for the update.

Green Frog