Author Topic: Geocaching partner  (Read 2118 times)

Shoven

Geocaching partner
« on: April 28, 2013, 15:22:05 »
If you look at my geocaching profile, you'll see I've been a member for a very long time.  I actually haven't been actively caching since I signed up.  It was more out of curiousity that i signed up. I am a casual geocacher and my partner is an even more causal participant.

I'm hoping to find a woman in the west end that doesn't have a partner.  I would LOVE to do some night caches, but of course can't/won't go alone.   GAG19 is coming up and I have a bad feeling I will be left without a partner for this and will miss out again.

If you are out there, send me a message.
Thanks

yukonshawn

Re: Geocaching partner
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 16:30:14 »
Another option for cache partners, which is especially effective for events like GAG, is to show up at the trail head for one of the GAG caches a little before 6:00pm Friday, since there will likely be others waiting nearby. Once 6:00pm arrives, you and whomever else you meet can revel in your joint FTF.

During GAG it is pretty much assured that you will meet other cachers. From there, it is very common for cachers who meet in the field to continue on together through the day (or night).

This GAG also happens to coincide with a flash mob event (www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC45HHA) at the Museum of Science and Technology at 1:00pm on Saturday, likely attended by dozens of cachers whom are also participating in GAG.

That being said, I am actually playing with the idea of spending several of the overnight hours caching, since I have not done so during previous events.
I'm out of the pool by 9:00pm Friday night, but will need to deposit wet swimwear at home and ready my caching gear.
It will depend on weather and who is playing who that night; if the Sens or Canucks are playing, I will likely start later.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 19:47:39 »
As Shawn said, if you can be near one of the caches before 6:00 PM Friday, you're pretty much guaranteed to meet up with someone.

Caching late Friday night during GAG is fun.

GAG18 was my first GAG and KeeperOfMaps and myself ended up doing Pokaroos night cache and then headed off to Shirley's Bay for several hours of caching in the bush.
There were several groups of people there when we were there, but somehow we all managed to miss each other.
We ended up pulling out of the parking lot at about 1 AM Saturday morning.

After starting out solo on Saturday morning, I met several different groups of cachers during the day and ended up finishing the day with CocaColaCacher, Sakidoo, hopper12, bbriacombe, and tcort.

Shoven

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:57 »
Thanks guys.  I guess I will head out and see what happens. 

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:02:37 »
I think once the GAG19 caches are published there should be more activity on the site and you may be able to find someone to head out with.

geobob7

• Jr. Cacher
  • GC3R69H
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:44:23 »
I know Walkslots does a lot of caching on her own because her husband is only willing to go out occasionally. She lives on Centrepoint and I've heard her saying she is sometimes nervous about going into the woods alone. I'm going to the CCC Meet & Eat tonight and will probably see her there, so will try and remember to mention you. Or maybe you would like to come along yourself. It's at Summerhay's Grill on Baseline at 18:00 (see GC499Q3). We're a friendly bunch and sometimes the ladies outnumber the men. 

Shoven

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:33:07 »
Thanks GeoBob. I've often thought of going to the meet and eat but I have this aversion to walking into a room full of strangers myself  :-\ 

I'm sure you ARE all a friendly bunch though.  If you think about it you could mention me.  I can be contacted through here or my profile on geocaching.com.

thanks again!
PS I'm in Barrhaven so we aren't that too far apart!
Shona