Author Topic: May 2013 workshop POISON IVY  (Read 4588 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
May 2013 workshop POISON IVY
« on: May 09, 2013, 20:16:47 »
Here's the link to our old forum post. Everything you need to know...

http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=668.0
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: May 2013 workshop POISON IVY
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:38:01 »
Also, email Address removed at the request of the recipient if you would like to get a free tick remover. City of Ottawa residents only.

Mine is on the way.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 17:37:47 by kirok »
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:46:43 »
Found an article today on the Ottawa Citizen web site about local Lyme Disease sufferers.

GreyingJay

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 14:28:44 »
I saw that article today too. Seems timely. Makes me wonder if I ought to just stick to winter caching...

GopherGreg

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 16:46:21 »
I read that article as well. I read through it, and searched up Lyme disease; It's always good to know this tuff, as much as I hope I won't have to deal with it!

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 20:42:28 »

I found this little one on me this afternoon after a romp around the South March Highlands.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 20:44:09 by model12 »
Steve

- Dr. Seuss

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 21:31:16 »
The Citizen article wasn't really about Lyme Disease, it was about the ongoing argument about 'Chronic Lyme Disease'. Some people blame everything from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome to mulitple scelorsis on undiagnosed chronic infection and are 'treated' with long term large dose antibiotic regimens.

The problem is that there is very little evidence for 'chronic lyme disease' and long term use of antibiotics has consequences....

The jury is still out, mostly because the evidence hasn't been produced yet.

Bluelamb03

Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 07:48:30 »
I was positively diagnosed with Lyme Disease in the summer of 2010, but thankfully the antibiotics (doxycycline is what I believe I was prescribed) did the trick after a strict four week regiment.  The first indication was the, not one, not two, but THREE bulls-eye rashes that appeared almost overnight.  One on my calf, one on my knee, and one on my chest.  This was shortly after returning from a weekend in Syracuse where we spent a lot of time caching in a nice forest filled with deer, long grass, and obviously, tics.

While I did experience most of the common symptoms described in the article, I was thankfully spared the worst of them.  I credit my quick turn-around to my knowledge of what to look for and what to tell my GP.  Granted he's a good doctor, he's not a mind reader.  On my first visit, I immediately mentioned that I suspected Lyme disease and why.   I was tested, and initial results were positive, so was forwarded to the general hospital infectious disease clinic for further testing.  Apparently only 1 out of every 100 cases sent to the clinic are positivity diagnosed as Lyme disease.  Well, after more tests, I quickly became a statistic.   More tests, and plenty of interns poking me to get a crack at their first patient with Lyme.  Again, thankfully, I credit my patience and attitude during all this as having the right information ahead of time.  I knew this was not going to kill me, the meds were working (the rashes disappeared within a week), and the tests were mostly non-obtrusive.  Throughout the the month, the doctor from the general hospital ID clinic and I kept in contact via e-mail, and I gave him regular progress reports and photos of the rashes as they progressed.  It is a teaching hospital after all, so why not provide as much documentation as possible to help the research.  After a month of regular visits and tests, I was Lyme free. 

While they did mention that there was a chance that some symptoms could reoccur in the future, this would not be because of a reemergence of the disease or anything "chronic".  Lyme disease, like any other disease, causes damage.  Period.   The extent of that damage can sometimes cause other complications in the future, such as early arthritis.  They most certainly did not recommend a lifelong regiment of antibiotics. 

GopherGreg

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 09:16:01 »

I found this little one on me this afternoon after a romp around the South March Highlands.

No Lyme disease? Or have you checked yet? I don't know much about lyme disease, but is it fatal? And if it is how fast?

Just curious.

Greg

GreyingJay

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:37:51 »
No Lyme disease? Or have you checked yet? I don't know much about lyme disease, but is it fatal? And if it is how fast?

Lib's post above gives a little insight into that question. Strictly speaking it does not sound fatal or fast, but it sure sounds unpleasant. The good news is that it should be fairly straightforward to detect and avoid.

From what I understand from the discussions:

First step is keeping ticks away from you in the first place. Steps to take: Wear long pants, long sleeves, a hat, avoiding walking in tall grasses, bug spray with DEET, and staying away from areas with ticks. So far we do not seem to have a big tick population in the Ottawa Valley (certainly not as plentiful as mosquitos and deerflies!) but slowly the numbers are increasing.

Step 2: if a tick finds its way onto your body or clothing, brush it off. You have some time (measured in hours, even days?) before a tick that is crawling around on you decides to bite.

Step 3: if you discover a tick and it has already bitten into you, pull it off using a Tick Key. Save the tick in a jar to bring to Ottawa Health Services to determine if it is infected with Lyme Disease. If it tests positive, see your own doctor to make sure you are not infected. The tick can be latched onto you for 24 hours before any Lyme disease is transmitted.

Step 4: if an infected tick has been on you and biting you for several days and you have not noticed it yet, you could contract Lyme disease. Look for the bulls-eye rash and the other symptoms as discussed. The tick might still be on you, if you can find it, bottle it up and bring it in for testing. It might have already finished its blood meal and dropped off though. If these symptoms present, go see your doctor. At this point, a round of antibiotics should make you better.

Step 5: If an infected tick has bitten you and you contracted Lyme disease and you still did not notice the rash or the symptoms and did not seek immediate treatment, then some damage may have been done and you may develop long term problems.

Note: obviously, I'm not a doctor, so don't depend on my post for medical advice.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 16:04:43 »

Just curious.

Well, I'm not dead ye.... ack.

::) ::)

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 22:24:37 »
Exactly like model12's photo, I brought one of those guys home from the South March Highlands last week.  Much closer to the ground, Ziggy collected his first of the year four weeks ago.  My dilemma now is whether or not Ziggy should get the Lyme vaccine.  There's still lots of controversy with that.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:31 »
Seems like SMH is a tick hotspot.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 15:35:28 »
A good reason to keep searchers near the trails, and avoid repeated bushwacks into the brush.
Steve

- Dr. Seuss

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 20:30:39 »
Seems like SMH is a tick hotspot.

Agreed.  The only ticks we've picked up so far (two) were in SMH.  Seems like a prime location for winter caching!