Author Topic: May 2013 workshop POISON IVY  (Read 4708 times)

GreyingJay

Re: May 2013 workshop POISON IVY
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:08:48 »
Were you walking through tall grassy areas, or do you think they're still a problem event right along the trails?

Soundsl like I will avoid SMH for now. Too bad because I have a large cluster of unfound Kanata caches there.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:45 »

Soundsl like I will avoid SMH for now. Too bad because I have a large cluster of unfound Kanata caches there.

I think that may be an over-reaction to the tick problem. The ticks are everywhere, the more deer in an area the more ticks there will be, and the South March Highlands have more deers than average, that's all.

Staying out of an area because of ticks is like staying indoors because it may rain.....

Long pants, DEET and regular tick checks during an outing followed by a long soapy shower after the outing is all that's required.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:45 »
I received a mailing from the City of Ottawa today with TWO Lyme disease packages including a tick remover in each.

I'll donate them to the club for our next raffle at our monthly Meet & Eat.

Email Barb at the email address above in this topic to get yours.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 12:51:06 »
I think that may be an over-reaction to the tick problem. The ticks are everywhere, the more deer in an area the more ticks there will be, and the South March Highlands have more deers than average, that's all.

Understood, but ticks still give me the heebie-jeebies.

Unfortunately, I'm bracing myself for the very real possibility that they will be showing up at my camp (which is in the heart of Lanark County).

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 15:29:14 »
Lanark County??? Isn't that tick heaven? You might want to investigate getting tick kits for your camp and presenting a workshop or two.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 21:20:54 »
Lee Valley sells the tick keys for a bit less than some of the online places. That's where I got mine last year.

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 21:59:15 »
I really don't mind that you all leave the new SMH SMW caches just for me but this tick thing does sound like an over reaction.  Yesterday I found a tick swimming in standing water in my backyard, a tiny fenced-in yard with no deer.  Our neighbour's cat that doesn't leave her yard had had two ticks this spring.

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 22:25:39 »
Were you walking through tall grassy areas, or do you think they're still a problem event right along the trails?

We were definitely in bush and grassy areas, not just on trails.  We also sat on a log while eating lunch, which may have given the critters a golden opportunity to climb aboard.

We wouldn't necessarily avoid SMH, but would be a bit more vigilant than usual when we go there again.  As Lib suggests, if you take a few sensible precautions, you shouldn't have much to be concerned about.

GreyingJay

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 09:03:58 »
Lanark County??? Isn't that tick heaven? You might want to investigate getting tick kits for your camp and presenting a workshop or two.

I keep a tick key in my caching pack and will add one to my camp daypack. We have a tick talk with every camper and their parents when they check in with the health care worker but you've reminded me that we should add a talk to our staff training weekend, and maybe more tick keys.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 19:32:18 »
Also, email Address removed at the request of the recipient if you would like to get a free tick remover. City of Ottawa residents only.

She sent me 2.

Both will be drawn at this month's Meet & Eat.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 17:36:38 by kirok »
Steve

- Dr. Seuss

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 20:10:01 »
I'm surprised that nobody asked. What's the puzzle you were working on in the background?

I found this little one on me this afternoon after a romp around the South March Highlands.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 22:31:42 »
It's not a puzzle...ordering for a munzee trail to hike.
Steve

- Dr. Seuss

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 10:57:47 »
It's not a puzzle...ordering for a munzee trail to hike.
and then you use the sheet alongside the GPS device rather than entering waypoints?

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 22:52:50 »
I download the munzees as geocaches onto the gpsr, and use the hand written sheet as a guide for the route that I plan in advance. Avoids confusion on the trails when satellites won't cooperate, and gives me shortcuts where needed.
Steve

- Dr. Seuss